Skeeter Starfire livewell

WillSDQ

Cadet
Hi guys. New to the forum. I just purchased a 1983 Skeeter Starfire 80. The boat is perfect for me and it is in great shape. The previous owner told me that the pump to the front livewell was out and it was out when he purchased the boat. He said that he never used the livewells so he didn't bother fixing it. No big deal, I thought. I watched some videos on how to change a livewell pump and priced new ones. 30 bucks. Not too bad. But today was the first time I could really look at the situation. I see two water pick ups on the bottom of the transom just below the motor, as in the videos I watched. But when I opened the rear bulge compartment, these two plastic pick ups were connected to one inch hoses, not to the livewell pumps. These two hoses seemed to be returning from both livewells and then flowing out of the boat at the rear. The two pumps say Rule Livewell on them. They have 3/4 inch tubes coming off of them and headed towards the livewells. It all looks like it is original due to the fact that the rings holding on all of the hoses are of the crimp on type. I can not see how these pumps are collecting water. Are these just air pumps? Are these wells manual fill? But this doesn't make sense either as both wells have drains at their bottoms and inlets at the very top of each well. These inlets would be useless for pumping in air as they enter each well way above the over fills in each well. I mean air would just be going into more air, not the water. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

WillSDQ

Cadet
Re: Skeeter Starfire livewell

Hi again. Plenty people looked at this thread and no one gave an answer. And for good reason. Because I was very stupid. I feel like a huge dumb a**. Today, I filled my rear livewell with my hose. When I popped the drain plug the water came rushing out of the rear end of the boat. But from holes just under the motor bracket!. You can't see these holes unless you have your head on the ground and look up. It is these two holes that the 1 inch lines are connected to. And the livewell pumps are indeed connected to the to visible pick ups. But the good news is I now know what to do. Sorry I wasted everyone's time.

firedawg662

Cadet

You didn't waste anybody's time. You will find that there are many people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge that they are eager to share. As for why nobody replied, I can only guess that the right person did not read your post. The good thing is that you figured it out on your own. Sometimes the best way is to just dig in and do it. Mistakes will happen, but doing is how we learn. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Splat

Lieutenant

No sweat, didn't waste anyone's time. You posted on a slow day that's all, we were all out busy ice fishing rather than sitting on the puter.:D:eek:;):facepalm:

Glad you got it worked out. Are you lucky enough and can just replace the pump cartridge rather than yanking the entire pump out and replacing. Might help cut down on some work for you.

Bill

BTW Welcome aboard the forums!