fuel fill location

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1987 harris 30ft pontoon I/O 2.3l ford omc, I have a flip up sundeck at the stern section of my boat that acts as the top of the engine compartment. I am curious on the "legal" side of a fuel fill location. can I put the fuel fill under the sundeck "hood/hatch" or does it have to be on the exterior or outside of the rail? I am not sure on if there is a coast guard safety issue here. I would like to mount them more vertical then horizontal because its such a pita to try and fill on that horizontal angle! thanks in advance

pckeen

Commander
Re: fuel fill location

No idea about regs - but sounds like a really bad idea. Engine compartments can get hot, and engines have multiple moving parts, electrical wires etc., all of which may, at some point, cause high heat buildup or sparks. Having a fuel cap in that area, which may vent fumes into that area,, strikes me as a recipe for an explosion.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

What these guys said. Gasoline vapor is heavier than air. When you fill the tank, you want the fumes and any overfill to fall outside the boat, not into the bilge where it could reach an explosive concentration. Don't do it.

Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

You can do almost anything you want to. The manufacturers have regs about fuel fill placement such as distance from battery, and it must be where if it spills while filling fuel can't run into the boat. There are more I think.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If your fuel fill was just a fuel fill, I"d say sure, go ahead, but its not... Its also a fuel tank vent and overflow, it is NOT sealed like a car fuel fill. You absolutely have vapors coming out of that at all times. Unless you enjoy unintended explosions, it must be in a location where fuel vapors won't cause a problem.

Maclin

Admiral

I almost alwyas have some spillage when filling, can't see anything good about how that would work out if the fill was in with the engine :eek:

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about not giving enough information,
I have purchased the "seal tight" Perko fuel fill(s) that is non venting,two 14 gallon tanks my fuel cells have there own vent lines that I installed new vents through the wall of the rear fencing so it vents to the outside. I will also be making a trough that both tank fills will be located in so if there is any spills it is contained to the trough. I guess I made the question sound like I was some kind of stupid lol. I am very aware of all aspects of an engine compartment. the compartment is 8 feet wide and three feet deep with bildge blowers and fresh air intake blowers. the fill necks will be all the way to the one front corner of the engine compartment. also the fencing around the engine compartment is raised 3/4 of an inch and will allow vapors/fresh air to flow freely throughtout. not sure now that you all know the conditions the fill(s) will be in if will change your minds but I just thought to give more information

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

No~~ no change of mind here. Just wondering how far away we could hear the explosion.... and people pieces would fly.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

now that you all know the conditions the fill(s) will be in if will change your minds but I just thought to give more information

No ABSOLUTELY NOT... I was gentle the first time... In the interest of saving your life... It would be REALLY DUMB to put your fuel fill in the engine compartment...... re route your hoses as needed but not (edit NOT NOT NOT) in the engine room.

Not trying to be mean... just trying to get the point across

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I really appreciate the thoughts on it, I guess that's why I posted the question. now....... on to the actual dilemma..... how to mount the fuel fills on the outside of the rail/fencing that would put the fuel fill at a good angle...better than the stupid flat horizontal one.....ugghhh help

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

show us some pictures..... let's get a better idea of what you're working with

sqlightning

Cadet

perko makes an angled fuel fill that works good. i've got one that i put on my 20' leisure kraft pontoon and am very happy with it

UncleWillie

Captain

... I would like to mount them more vertical than horizontal because its such a pita to try and fill on that horizontal angle!

The more I read that the more confused I became.
I will assume that you want to mount the Fuel Fill on a Horizontal Plane so that the fill nozzle enters it Vertically.
Is there a spot on the floor, away from the Engine Compartment, and preferably outside of the rail, that it will fit?

As mentioned, a few pictures would help.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[URL=http://s174.photobucket.com/user/HDspringer05/media/BOOOOYAAA180-Copy1.jpg.html] [/URL]

as you can somewhat see in this pic the fuel tanks, one 14 gal on each side, what I am fighting is the height of the rail. the top of the rail is only about 6-10 inches above the top of the tank not the fill neck. so without a lot of height to play with and still have "fall" on the inlet hose. that is why I would like to mount them with the fill cap pointing straight up in the air so when you are pouring out of a can or nozzle it will easier then having the fill on the side of the boat