Skeeter Hot Foot throttle cable

larrymul

Cadet
I'm installing a Hot Foot in my '89 Skeeter SK2000, center console, 225 Yamaha. The control box is centered between the seats.

Has anyone routed a throttle cable from the stern to the dash in this boat? I have a new, longer throttle cable, and need to run it past the control box, under the floor or along the gunnel to under the dash. I can't figure out how to get it there, or how the current cables are routed, i.e. along the gunnel, up the center, weaving around the live wells, etc.

I'd appreciate any help from you guys, I assume there are a few tricks you all have learned. I'd thought about finding a wire or something in the dash that runs to the motor, tying a string to it and pulling it back, which sounds a little goofy, but if it works...are the cables and wiring inside a tube, wire tied together, laying on the floor?

I learned long ago to ask before leaping, except for driving directions of course, real men don't do that! :lol:

Re: Skeeter Hot Foot throttle cable

It would take someone with the exact same boat as you who has done the exact same modification to be of any help. Sadly you're just going to have to break out the flashlight and crawl around the innards of your boat to figure it out. I doubt that a boat manufacturer has gone to the trouble to install any kind of cable conduit, more than likely it's just fished through whatever space there is under the gunwale.

It's possible you might be able to tie something to your existing throttle cable and pull it through when you remove the cable. If you try that you should do something to prevent the cable end from getting stuck (like cover the trunion with duct tape). Whatever you do be careful, in the worst case you could end up damaging wiring and cause a real headache.

larrymul

Cadet

I typed a longer reply, and when I hit reply it went away, geez!

Thanks Metric, I have that kind of planned if I don't hear from another SK2000 owner. I have other things to run as well, Lowrance wiring, it mounts in the dash, but need to run the transducer to the transom, etc.

larrymul

Cadet
Skeeter Hot Foot throttle cable

Hey Bondo, thinking I recognize the name and "Ayuh" from hotrodders.com, but haven't seen you there for a long time, same Bondo? I'm on there, will probably die there along with the other old timers...68NovaSS

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trolling Motor

Re: Trolling Motor

Hey Bondo, thinking I recognize the name and "Ayuh" from hotrodders.com, but haven't seen you there for a long time, same Bondo? I'm on there, will probably die there along with the other old timers...68NovaSS

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Larry,... Yer Nova handle looks very familiar,... I enjoy yer posts over there,...

I wander through hotrodders alot, but post little,...
Seems some over there get all sortsa rod-knockin' twisted with my signature "Ayuh,...."

I see yer puutin' a foot throttle in yer bassboat,...
I'll stop on over, 'n see what yer attempin',...

Bondo

Staff member

I typed a longer reply, and when I hit reply it went away, geez!

Thanks Metric, I have that kind of planned if I don't hear from another SK2000 owner. I have other things to run as well, Lowrance wiring, it mounts in the dash, but need to run the transducer to the transom, etc.

Ayuh,... Insteada waitin' for another poster with the same boat,...

Post up a few pictures of what yer workin' with,...

Most hulls have ways of accessin' back areas, some without cuttin' holes, sometimes, it takes a blade,...
There's Usually raceways along the gunnels for cables, 'n wirin',...
Yer center mounted control('tween the seats?) seems abit odd to me,..

Hmmmm,... Google image shows alota pictures of hulls like yer, Torn down,...
Ya might find some insights through them,...

larrymul

Cadet

Thanks Bondo, some interesting pictures there. When it warms up some I'll take a closer look, if I can't see a way I will post up some pictures.

Last edited: