is a 115/80 yamaha jet powerful enough for a 19ft outfitter G3?

addicted2fowl

Recruit
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a new G3 19ft with a 115/80 hp jet on it. I was curious if you guys think this would be really underpowered? Its the highest rated motor for this boat. I want to use the boat for fishing the rivers for steelhead and hunt the marshes and saltwater for ducks. sound decent?

roffey

Commander
Re: is a 115/80 yamaha jet powerful enough for a 19ft outfitter G3?

I was under the impression that jet boats are not good for fishing as they have a hard time at low speed but I guess that's what a trolling motor is for. As far as the motor hp goes I suspect it is a little under powered?

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Outboard jet powered boats are generally not going to be a rocket. They are just not near as efficient as a prop, so they are only desirable if you boat in areas where they are truly necessary. I would think it would be plenty of power to get up on plane. My uncle has a mercury 45hp jet on a 17ft sea ark rigged out (similar to a G3) and it does just fine, although heading against the wind and current it is a slow cruise for sure.

jestor68

Commander

The dealer should be willing to take you on a demo ride. Find out for yourself.

The Yamaha site has tests of the 60 hp on 16 ft G3's that did 27 mph. I'd expect the 19 ft with the 80 hp to do something similar.

Last edited:

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you are going to fish the marsh's I'd say its a good selection of motor. Should get you on plane and 25 MPH or so.

YUP! The only drawback is they love to vacuum up weeds ,sticks and stones. You may have a problem near weed beds in the marsh.