Is there a capacity plate

Eminent135

Recruit
i just registered my 1995 bass tracker bantam 3x,(first boat)reading through my Kansas boaters reg. it says all boats less then 20 ft and built after 72 designed to carry 2 or more people shall have a permanently-affixed capacity plate i don't see one on there.anyone know were they usually put them ? and can u get replacements if its not there ?

limitout

Banned
Re: Is there a capacity plate

are you sure its worded that way? I was informed it only applies to manufacturers at the time of sale and its not required of boat owners so if yours is missing or unreadable its not something you will be ticketed for.

you can have one made for around $20, google "Boat Capacity Plate Decal" or look here: Boat capacity sticker replicas | GarzonStudio.com

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I actually had a replacement plate made for my boat at a trophy shop. My wife use to work at a trophy shop as the LASER designer and I knew what type format the shop used. So I designed my own and had it printed on metal. That process is called sublimation. Ask your trophy shop if they can do that process. I'm very sure they can. It really isn't that difficult...

Eminent135

Recruit

Yea unfortunately that's word for word out of the book,the manufacturer for the boat is actually about an hr and a half away,going to shoot them a phone call and see what they can do.thanks for the link all check that out maybe faster in the long run,then go to a trophy shop if that all fails .thanks guys for the info..

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Calling the manf. would be a good start. At least they should be able to tell you where it should be located. I seriously doubt they will supply a new one as after talking with Lund directly about mine they could supply all the info but do not reissue plates.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If you dig into it, it looks like the Kansas statute is like many other states. The law states that the manufacturer is required to have it when it leaves their control, but there is no law preventing the owner from removing it, and no legal requirement to actually have it.

And with many other states, the 'safe boating' manual takes some liberties with the law, as they say it is required. (keep in mind that is never a legal document either...)

KS Statutes: Ch 32 Article 11: Boating And Water Activities

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^ Concur.

After reading it, it reads like TN's. Here we aren't required to have a capacity plate, but we do have to have a "certificate of number" with us (that's a registration card the owner/operator carries).

I'd double check your conclusion. Though, if the manufacturer can't get you a replacement, do a Google search for replacement capacity plates. There's a couple places that'll do 'em for ya'.

Welcome aboard.

Eminent135

Recruit

Thanks for the info,all check around and see if i can get a pic of 1 and just have 1 made up,with my boats info,just wanna have everything in order,would rather spend money on more gear then a ticket :lol:

Eminent135

Recruit

Well call boat manufacturer they put me 1 in the mail for free ..should have it by Friday ..:happy:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Very well done also rare.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Interesting, glad they're sending you one. And for free!

Maybe I should contact Crestliner. I have a 1650 Fishhawk that has a plate for a 1750. Bought the boat used from a dealer and didn't notice it until later.......

Eminent135

Recruit

yea i was kinda surprised myself for as old as the boat is, figured the best i would do is get the info only,but she said it works for all charloma manufactured boats ,i wasn't arguing with that.:laugh: