add on trim gauge

Joe1197

Cadet
Does anyone know where to get an add on trim gauge kit?
I have a 1987 Evinrude 140 on a Ranger bass boat that did not come with a trim gauge. Any ideas?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: add on trim gauge

Most here will tell you that you don't need a gauge... just look at the motor for a rough idea and watch your tach and speed to fine tune

I use the gauges but I have twin I/O's and it's nice to get the drives close to the same before accelerating onto plane but on my outboard boats I've never had a use for a gauge

Re: add on trim gauge

Piece of cake. They sell trim gauges in the store at iboats, as well as many other online boat stores. Just be sure you get one for OMC outboards (Johnson/Evinrude). ALSO, you'll need to make sure your engine has a trim sender. It's a black disk maybe an inch and a half in diameter or thereabouts with an arm coming out of it, and it'll have wires coming out of it. I'm pretty sure on your engine it'll mount on the inside of the port side midsection near the top (you can go to shop2.evinrude.com and find your engine model, it'll be shown in the "midsection" diagragrm). AND sometimes the senders go bad, with an ohmmeter make sure that as you move the arm from one end of its travel to the other that the resistance varies smoothly. And if you need help with figuring out the wiring just yell.

Last edited: