Need advice: Removing oil-base paint graphic that's on the gelcoat.

mikebel

Cadet
Hi. I've recently purchased my first boat, a '88 Chaparral 19' bow-rider. The previous owner did his part; he reupholstered the entire boat. Now I need to give the gelcoat some well-deserved TLC; but first I need to remove (from both sides) an amateurish graphic that some PO had painted on, using what I believe to be oil-based paint. It's an eagle's head at the bow followed by waving stripes down the side of the boat. Looks pretty cheesy, so I'd like to remove it.

I'm wondering if a liquid paint stripper would be OK to use w/out damaging the gelcoat? Or should I use an ultra-fine sand paper? My biggest concern is not causing any damage to the boat.

Thanks in advance for any insight on tackling this!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need advice: Removing oil-base paint graphic that's on the gelcoat.

You could try using most anything to remove the graphics, but do a little test with whatever you choose first in an area out of the main viewing area to make sure how it would work. Sanding is an option as well but again do a little test area first. I had some similar issues and I used a little lacquer thinner and some elbow grease to remove some old paint. Just be really careful and do little areas before committing to the effort.

southkogs

Staff member

Might try some turpentine first. See what happens with a small section.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Acetone will strip paint without hurting gelcote. Marinas even sell it as boat cleaner.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

They sell a stripper thats supposed to be just for that, but im pretty sure any stripper will do. I think i bought it at west marine. Start there then do sanding if needed. Finish with a polish.

mikebel

Cadet

Thanks for all the help. I'll try some acetone. I wanted to try it before, but was afraid it would be too caustic. LOL, they sell it as boat cleaner!

mikebel

Cadet

NSB, thanks also! A stripper would be excellent also, and I'll check w/ West Marine.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

instead of west marine consider buying it from IBOATS.COM seeing as how they provide this great forum

tpenfield

Staff member

Be careful with the acetone, as it may eventually soften the gelcoat. Got any pics to post of the 'cheesy' graphics before you wipe it out?

It may be quite difficult to get all of the graphic removed and have the gelcoat looking uniform again. So, you may end up having to do an additional coating of gelcoat once the graphic is gone.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would try polishing compound and a good buffer. Some fastcut might eat right through it and avoid the chemicals. Just be careful you do not "burn" the gelcoat by not moving fast enough.

If you do try chemicals I would also try a fine green scrubbing pad (And wear gloves). Here is a hint ........visit worst marine and look at the stripper....see what chemicals are present and then visit a hardware store and purchase the same stuff for 1/2 the price since it will not be labeled "marine"

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Another option is sand then paint the boat, if you start running into problems.

mikebel

Cadet

Got any pics to post of the 'cheesy' graphics before you wipe it out?

View attachment 220431

Here's the eagle graphic, and you can see wear the stripes follow it down the side. It's not hideous, but not professional either. I'll start with the least abrasive solution offered, then work my way up until I find something that works.

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I recently removed my old named boat paint with some 1,500 grit wet/dry sand paper with water and a block. Afterward I used a polishing compound (by hand) and the Mother's Synthetic Wax...looks as good as new!

As others have stated, do a test area first. Odds are pretty good there will always be a slight ghosting where the "artwork" was...as UV rays might have yellowed the gel coat around it?

Post up some before and after pictures.

~Brett

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Polyester is impervious to acetone. That's why they sell it in marine stores. Paint stripper may contain other chemicals that could soften polyester, that's why using a paint stripper isn't a good idea. Sandpaper will always hurt polyester, no matter how fine the grit is. Sanding simply removes material! Non harmfull chemicals only remove the paint. Ghosting will always be present no mater what method you use.