In need of a cockpit cover for my 87 sundancer 268

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Hello, all. Well I just pulled the trigger on purchasing my new, to me, 87 Sea Ray Sundancer 268. The only thing it really needs is a cockpit cover for it. I got a quote of around $950.00 for a canvas company to construct a new one, but is there some place out there that sells replacement covers or could possibly make one a bit cheaper than the $900.00?
Thanks again.
Gary

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: In need of a cockpit cover for my 87 sundancer 268

Cockpit covers are difficult to make and are nearly as much labor as an entire boat cover.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

What bruce said. You won't find one ready made. It'll be a custom job and $900. seems reasonable to me. You need to shop around some more locally and find out what the going rate is.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

I've thought about trying to tackle this by myself. I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine, lol.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I've thought about trying to tackle this by myself. I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine, lol.
What kind of machine do you have? Will it sew through 5 layers (maybe a few more)of Sunbrella and a layer of webbing?

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Why would I need to go through 5 layers? On my current boat I replaced my isinglass and everything went pretty good. You'd think the sunbrella would be easier to go through versus the isinglass. All I used was a singer sewing machine that is about 9 years old..
Gary

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you use double fold binding on the edge, that's 4. Add one more for the cover itself. If you then travel over any french seams, that's an additional 3 for a total of 8. Add webbing and that's a lot of fabric.

That's the way they are professionally done. How were you planning on doing the edge and reinforcing it?

I am making a snap on cover for my pontoon boat right now. When I get to the binding part, I can take some pictures.

There are other ways to do it as well that requires less layers but its still a lot(maybe 4 plus the webbing). There are some pictures I can find for you and post later.

Here is an example of a binding edge:
binding.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Here are the pictures on how to do a web hem for the edge. May work best for your machine.

First sew on the webbing with 1/2" of material past the webbing.
webhem1.jpg

Then tuck under webbing to form the finished edge
webhem2.jpg

Finished product with only 2 layers Sunbrella plus the webbing. You may have the additional 3 layers though when you cross a seam.
webhem3.jpg

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Thanks Bruce.
What kind of a machine is that that you are using, just a regular sewing machine?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Consew 226R. Its a commercial walking foot machine. Purchased it on eBay for $300 for a steal of a price since the guy labeled it wrong.Those last 3 pictures were not of my machine. It may be a Juki which is an awesome machine.

Here is mine:
sew.jpg

Last edited:

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Do you think my Singer sewing machine would be able to tackle this?

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Solicitng not allowed

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do you think my Singer sewing machine would be able to tackle this?
If your singer has any plastic gears in it, don't do it. if you had a Bernina from a few years ago that had metal gears, you may have a chance.