bayliner bass boat top speeds ?

BassBoats75

Cadet
Hi im new here i was curious can anyone tell me what kinda speed i can get out of my bayliner

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bayliner bass boat top speeds ?

:welcome: We're going to need a little more info such as year and model of boat along with what size engine you have on it. It's kind of like asking how fast will my car go? without giving any info on the car.

BassBoats75

Cadet

You're mean...:lol:

Im hoping that she will hit 40 i was told 35 to 40mph when u measure hull by horsepower or something heres the bayliner specs: 1987 16 foot bayliner bass boat 1987 Force 85HP outboard wieght of hull its a guess motor wieghts 280 hull is 1200 no more i could be wrong..... Heres my upgrade ideas i wanna put a hydrofoil stingray tail on it ive heard they help and i was curious about a different prop.... I do know i have a nice aluminum prop on it now probably a 17 pitch is my guess they say 15 17 or max 19 pitch so far ive only seen one of these boats same size all stock older force chrystler 85hp motor top speed 37mph

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

With that boat being a 1987 Bayliner.....the absolute FIRST thing I would do is check out the hull and transom.

Hydrofoils do not add speed to boats. There really is no magic item to add on that will add speed to your current motor.

The BEST thing you can do is a good solid tune up and check out the boat VERY carefully. I have heard rumors that the old bayliner bass boats like to rot a bit from the inside out.

Just trying to save you money before you spend it on foils and props.

I understand that some bass boats made by bayliner have hit speeds in excess of 80 mph until the State Police pull you over for towing too fast!

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

35-40 mph sounds about right for that boat and motor, assuming everything is right. And those stupid hydrofoil fins definitely do not make the boat faster, they will help to get and stay on plane at lower speed, but thats it. They actually hurt top end speed usually.

BassBoats75

Cadet

I know alot about bayliners and how they leave them out in the damn rain and after years the water gets inside and can slow the boat down and soak the FOAM in between the STRINGeRs i know but i have done many upgrades to this boat they only made a few of these boats i believe started in 82 and ended in 89 was the last year they were a sharp boat in the day so far ive experienced no rot on the deck but im ripping the carpet out and redewing it but before i put carpet down i will take and roll on a coat of fiberglass resin and hardner and that floor will see a long Life then all put adhiesiveglue and carpet down

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Before spending a few $$$ on new carpet check the stringers and transom. The foam may have a few hundred pounds of water in it but the wood may have already rotted. If so, time for an expensive repair that will cost much more than the boat is worth.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 17ft Nitro with a 60hp merc that has hit 41 on the river and avg's 38 fully loaded with a full live well, 2 people, gear, drinks, etc. on the lakes. All it has is a SS prop on it.

pckeen

Commander

The BEST thing you can do is a good solid tune up and check out the boat VERY carefully. I have heard rumors that the old bayliner bass boats like to rot a bit from the inside out.

Rumors? :lol:

BassBoats75

Cadet

:eek:
I have a 17ft Nitro with a 60hp merc that has hit 41 on the river and avg's 38 fully loaded with a full live well, 2 people, gear, drinks, etc. on the lakes. All it has is a SS prop on it.
. Damn thats amazing i cant believe that u hit 41 mph thats awesome and with a 60 whats the maX Hp recommended for your Nitro

dngrs1

Recruit

I have a Bayliner 1710 Trophy Fish & Ski with a 90hp Force, 17 pitch Piranha prop and it tops out at 39mph (per GPS) on calm water.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You're mean...:lol:

Umm, if he has/had a 14' Bayliner Striker with a Force 50 (max hp) , 29 would be spot on.

Since we now know he has the 16' with an 85, I'm going with 37, if all is right with the hull and motor.

BassBoats75

Cadet

Nicceee.... Thats pretty good.. 1 of these days im gonna slap a 4 stroke Honda on it i seen that they have a high Rpm so all probably do upper 40*s maybe 50 but for now i got some testing to do with my bayliner bass boat so do u have any pics of her ur bayliner..... I just need to get to 40 lol thats a great speed atleast for me for my first Fishing boat i might try different props later.

I have a Bayliner 1710 Trophy Fish & Ski with a 90hp Force, 17 pitch Piranha prop and it tops out at 39mph (per GPS) on calm water.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek:. Damn thats amazing i cant believe that u hit 41 mph thats awesome and with a 60 whats the maX Hp recommended for your Nitro

Its rated for 115HP max. I dont need to go any faster but if the right deal comes along Im a sucker for speed.

dngrs1

Recruit

Per bassboat75's request, here is the only picture I have of my Bayliner Trophy. It was the maiden voyage after I bought it. I am in the process of stripping her because of major hull damage and the value of the boat doesn't warrant the cost of repair. Bassboat75, it is a '91 Bayliner Trophy 1710 Fish & Ski with a '90 Force 90hp outboard w/trim.

Attachments

• File.jpg
    File.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0