Install Cleat - No Access Underneath.

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just bought a 2004 Glastron bowrider 157 MX. There is no cleat on the bow. I would like to install one but I have no access underneath. (see pic). Had a bowrider many years ago and used this cleat for the anchor. Any ideas? What other cleat would be best used forthe anchor? boat b.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Install Cleat - No Access Underneath.

ahhh but you DO have access... just not EASY access

drill and tap a plate OR weld nuts to a plate... drill the holes and fish two 8' strings through two holes diagonal to each other to one of the cup holder holes....the strings go through the correct holes in the plate and have nuts tied in their center..... apply 3m 4200 to the top of the plate and use the strings to pull it into place... put the other two bolts in place and snug the plate up to the deck..... pull the strings and nuts back out through the cup holder hole and after the 4200 sets up you can mount your cleat.

EDIT: unless it's foam filled and then it's a new ball game

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OR: Remove the rub rail to about 4 feet. there may be a couple of pop rivets to drill out. Then separate the top cap enough to get inside. After installing the plate with 4200 to secure it and bolting on the cleat, reassemble everything. It sounds complex but really, it is not difficult.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Just add a deckplate to the seat area so ya can reach up in there. They come in many sizes,and actually might add a storage area.image.jpgimage.jpg
When installing the cleat be shure to put adequate backing in behind there,if just bolted to the glass,it could rip out.
Grub

shout

Seaman Apprentice

Deckplate/access hatch is a great idea, that's how I gained access to a scupper hose on my SeaFox. Hardest part was getting up the nerve to cut a hole in my boat!

-- shout

Maclin

Admiral

Why do you need one there? If you want it for overnite or long term mooring then I have an answer from a small boat manufacturer...most boats that size are trailered and not moored or on the hook for very long if at all and for price-point boats the extra cost is an issue. I think Glastron MX series is their lower price point trim level, and anchoring would be expected to connect to bow ring.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Why would they not install a cleat there to begin with?

Ayuh,.... Probably because all ya gotta do is reach over the edge, 'n hook yer line to the bow eye,...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Why would they not install a cleat there to begin with?

Because they are designed by Engineers, not Boatmen. Even the high priced boats don't have enough, IMHO. I've added 4 more cleats to the last 2 boats I bought.

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why do you need one there? If you want it for overnite or long term mooring then I have an answer from a small boat manufacturer...most boats that size are trailered and not moored or on the hook for very long if at all and for price-point boats the extra cost is an issue. I think Glastron MX series is their lower price point trim level, and anchoring would be expected to connect to bow ring.

If you use the bow ring, what is the best way to tie it off to control the length? On the cleat I cold just tie it off at the desired length. How do you do that with hanging over the bow and when you dont want all the rope out?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

A couple options come to mind.... One is to double the line.... Pull a loop through the eye and cleat that loop to one of the existing cleats.
Another is to have a short bow line attached to the eye at all times (short enough that it cant reach your prop if it falls in the water)and attach your anchor line to the end of it with a shackle at whatever length you want it.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Duplicate post

Last edited:

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty similiar to smoke's post #2.. If you have room under the deck.. Something like this with a "Top Mount" backing plate, this one is a pop-up, drops out of the way if you plan on beaching and/or having people walking near the cleat.. Accon Marine installation video * Pop Up Cleat #202 - YouTube

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Your original post says "MX 157" and I believe you have a 175.

I also have a glastron and I do have the center cleat and never use it. The main reason is the anchor line rubs back and forth as the boat swings and scuffs the paint. Another reason is tying it off to the bow hook is lower so the anchor holds better. I have a 20' line with a snap on the boat side of it so I just lean over and snap it on.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

be wary of the snap hook... if it is flipped just right by wave action it can cam out and fall off the eye.....

That said, If a person had 3 or more 20 sections with loops spliced at both ends and several shackles he/she could quickly vary the anchor length in 20' increments......... IE at a modest 4:1 scope each 20' section would be good for 5' of water depth.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Here's my suggestion: just screw the cleat(s) into the fiberglass without backing, with stainbless wood screws made for this purpose (securing cleats). Sure, backing is better, but you aren't going to lift the bow by the cleat; all force will be perpendicular to the screws.

Then, don't use that cleat for any real force, such as towing or obviously lifting. For that, use the bow eye, which is stronger although less convenient, for being towed or anchoring in adverse conditions. But the top cleats are convenient and fine for fair weather docking and anchoring. If you ever take the boat to be worked on off the trailer (eg bottom painting) warn them not to lift it with the cleat.

Further, don't mount the cleat dead center in that boat; your passengers loading across the bow will stub toes, catch flip flops, etc. Put them on the side on the top of the gunwale, which is probably stronger as well. Use nylon, not stainless, cleats b/c they don't hurt as much when you kick them, and they are more obvious as being low-strength.

Then, if you think you need it, make a 4 foot extension with a solid snap hook on each end, to hook onto the bow eye and then bring up into the boat and attach your anchor or tow line when strength is needed.

I have been using what I believe to be non-backed cleats for years and often with some very heavy force, just not straight up as to the screws.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah I had a snap hook fail on me and lost an anchor because of it once. The set up I have now I only use in shallow water and I have a marker buoy tied directly to the anchor encase I did loose it.

The marker buoy is mainly so my line doesn't get ran over as the sand bar we go to is extremley busy.

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your original post says "MX 157" and I believe you have a 175.

I also have a glastron and I do have the center cleat and never use it. The main reason is the anchor line rubs back and forth as the boat swings and scuffs the paint. Another reason is tying it off to the bow hook is lower so the anchor holds better. I have a 20' line with a snap on the boat side of it so I just lean over and snap it on.

Do you find the 20' line is enough? I assume you only anchor in shallow water? DO you have an anchor chain with the anchor?

Thanks for the suggestions.