Christening your boat

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hi everyone ! I know it is considered bad luck to rename your boat without a proper renaming ceremony. But if it was never named and you decide to name it after 40 years . Would it be ok to name, and give it a proper Christening ? And is it ok to have the Christening performed by the person the boat is named after ?
Thanks SP..

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Christening your boat

I think so. As long as you follow the ancient laws of the sea described below. Failure to do so will surely result in the wrath of Poseidon befalling your vessel. Don't forget the bubbly!

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you would be naming it for the first time so the bad luck part won't come into play. But if you name it after a woman in your life, well, it's like tattoo's which also stick for good even after the girl is gone. That' swhy lots of tattoo and bost sterns have pet names and nt real ones.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

She will be named after the nicest, most caring,loving , and wittiest 83 years young classy lady I know .. :)
And what about alcohol involved . We will be doing this at a local public ramp . I hope the authority,s will allow it . It,s not like we will be standing around getting drunk or anything ..:very_drunk:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Queen Elizabeth II was christened and launched in 1969 by Queen Elizabeth II. That family is a stickler for protocol so I'm assuming it is just fine for the person a ship is named after to christen a ship, or boat.

shrew

Lieutenant

If you're superstitious about renaming the boat, then you should also not do the following:

1) Don't take the boat out on a Friday, the 1st Monday in April; the 2nd Monday in August
2) No Women onboard
3) No Bananas onboard
4) No Whistling onboard.
5) Don't say 'Goodbye' or 'Good Luck' on a boat
6) Don't have any debt
7) No Red Headed people on board.

Now doesn't it seem silly to pick and choose which ones you believe and which ones you don't?

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holy Cow Shrew....after reading that I fully expect to go home and see my boat has sunk right in my side yard as I have shattered several of those unknown (until now) rules of Poseidon.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I sort of like this one my self.

Requirements:

1. Boat.
2. Captain.
3. First Mate (if ok with topless women, otherwise let her go shopping).
4. Topless women (King Neptune loves topless women).
5. Booze.
6. Your closest friends, preferably one that can drink and speak at the same time, we'll call him "MC".

Ceremony:
(MC): "We now call on the Captain to Christen the new Vessel"
(Captain): "I name this vessel (name of the boat)"
(1st mate or designated topless woman): "May Neptune Bless her and all who sail with her"
(1st mate or designated topless woman): "May Neptune keep all who sail her safe"
(everyone): "Amen"

Topless women frolic about. Everyone drinks.

(MC): "A Toast to the Captain"
(everyone): "Cheers" (or other toast)
(MC): "A Toast to the (1st mate or designated topless woman) " . Usually, the larger breasted of the bunch.
(everyone): "Cheers!" (or other toast)
(MC): "A Toast to (name of the boat)"

Topless women frolic about. Everyone drinks.

(Captain): "A toast to everyone present! Thank you for coming today and in joining us in this very specially occasion!" Fairwinds to all!
(everyone): "Cheers!" (or other toast).

Topless women frolic about. Everyone continues to drink.

(Captain then takes his boat for a cruise for the first time, it is usually best that the Captain takes her out single handed, or with the topless women).

End of ceremony!

Do this and your vessel shall forever see fair winds and calm seas.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Dang, I'm gonna rename my boat just so I can do the ceremony!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

+1 on that, but the big problem for me would be to get the OK from the Admiral (wife)

Thats why you send her off shopping, snickers its gonna cost you one way or another.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

The most important part of the naming ceremony, is to have fun! We named ours last year and had a great time.

Enjoy!

alldodge

Staff member

Thats why you send her off shopping, snickers its gonna cost you one way or another.

I could send her the spa and to see the chip-n-dales and I'd probably still get in trouble, but how about this; the next time someone does this give me an invite, I'll buy the beer. Plausible deniability

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

She will be named after the nicest, most caring,loving , and wittiest 83 years young classy lady I know .. :)
And what about alcohol involved . We will be doing this at a local public ramp . I hope the authority,s will allow it . It,s not like we will be standing around getting drunk or anything ..:very_drunk:

I assume you are kidding about worrying about alcohol in the vicinity. However you have to consider the bottle: first it craters your hull then breaks and down sinks broken glass. And real chamapgne bottle is like a war club. So either fortify your bow or hit a metal cleat; use a thinner bottle (the champagne of beers?), have the bottle in a mesh bag, and/or just pour some bubbly on the bow instead of smashing the bottle.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

'Round here the boat naming ceremony is taken very seriously. King Neptune is an angry and unforgiving god.

Attachments

• KingNeptune.jpg
    KingNeptune.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Not planning on the bottle smashing type ceremony. But it will be at a city park and I believe alcohol is not permitted ..I will have to check on that one .The place has nice floating docks and would make it easier getting 83 year old Mom in and out of the boat. She has not ridden in this boat in probably over 30 years . She is a bit excited !

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Not planning on the bottle smashing type ceremony. But it will be at a city park and I believe alcohol is not permitted ..I will have to check on that one .The place has nice floating docks and would make it easier getting 83 year old Mom in and out of the boat. She has not ridden in this boat in probably over 30 years . She is a bit excited !

if your cops hassle a couple of octegenarians christening their boat, you need better cops. Seriously. Some things aren't worth fretting over. Be an outlaw and add to the thrill!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

GHBAY, that's either a whole bunch of bad luck or an awful lot of champagne !! :D

HC , yeh I guess I am probably worried about nothing . If they give us a ticket I will be glad to pay it ...