1994 ranger 392v

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at a 1994 ranger 392v with 200 hp. xri merc. Was this a good boat? Is it wooden or composite? Will it hold up with good care? Is this engine a good one? Looks to have been well taken care of. Thanks

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1994 ranger 392v

thanks ,just a little bit nervous after reading alot of threads

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great hull and it will handle very well. Not too much of a rough water boat but, you will be pleased with the performance at any speed. With a 200 on the back (Yes a good motor if it has been maintained) that boat will easily see 65 mph + when set up the right way.

I am a former Ranger owner and big fan ;)

Yes there is wood in that hull. Loof for signs of transom stress, push on the motor while it is tilted up. If it flexes then the transom might be weak. Look for soft spots in the floor.....

99% of the existing condition all depends on how it was stored and maintained. People have seen 5 year old boats trashed from neglect and 30 year old boats that were perfect........ it's all about maintenance!

Ask about the maintenance!!! See what the current owner has to back up the answers. I would recommend testing the motors compression and a water test.

Don't jump into buying that boat, be very skeptical. IMO bass boats as a group are less well maintained than most any other type of boat. That's not saying that this particular boat wasn't well maintained, but over the years I've seen far more bass boats sitting in driveways uncovered than any other type of boat. I'm currently rebuilding a bass boat (not a Ranger though) - the previous owner swore up and down that the boat was in great shape. (I actually just bought the boat for the engine, my original plan was to scrap the boat.... there were soft spots in the floor and there was a lot of motion in the transom when you pushed/pulled on the engine.)

Look very carefully at the transom for any sign of the fiberglass skin separating near the top edges, it does that when the wood inside gets wet and expands. Push and pull HARD on the engine as you're watching the transom for any sign of movement, the lower unit itself may move a bit because of flex in the engine mounts but there should be zero motion of the engine mounting bracket. Look for signs of poorly sealed screw holes in the transom where the pitot and transducer are mounted. Often times silicone was used to seal bolt and screw holes and it probably won't still be doing it's job on a 20 year old boat.

Look at the way bilge pumps are mounted, if there are screws going into the hull (actually they'd be going into the core - I'm pretty sure that hull is going to have a balsa core) that's a sure sign of trouble - over time water gets into the core and rots it.

Look at as much of the wiring as you can see. Is it neat and tidy, or is it a tangled mess of redneck engineering?

Good luck.

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks you guys for the info.I'm going today and check it out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

1990 sales brochure says stringers and transom are glass. Floor is completely encased 3/4 plywood as are the deck lids. Forrest was real serious about preventing dry rot. I had an '89 and it was all hand layup, no chopper gun glass. Professional job of sealing what wood there was in the boat.

Super constructed, super boat. Would put it up against any out there.

Mark

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Texasmark, I have done alot of research the last couple of weeks and was amazed on the rangers construction. You of course pay for the name but also you are paying for quaility. I went ahead and bought the boat,fished it the last two days and am real pleased. Thanks for everbodys input and have a great season