Can anyone help ID this Peterborough?

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice
During the summer of 1985, I got my first boat. I found it washed up on the shore. It was half on the rocks and half in the bushes. If it was any other boat, I would have figured that it got loose during a fall storm, washed up at our place and spent the winter there, but it was already in sad shape and the engine was long gone. We never found out how it got there. I convinced my dad to float it around to our cottage so I could have it as a play boat and he agreed. My friends and I went everywhere in that boat that summer, well at least we did in our imaginations.

I only know that it's a Peterborough and it was very old. Any idea what it might be? I've tried looking online for a Peterborough club and I haven't had much luck and I'm having a tough time getting the Fiberglassics site to work lately. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are a couple pics:

My old Peterborough by Island Girl Talk, on Flickr

I only found out it was a Peterborough a few years ago when the paint started peeling in one area and I found this:

P1010559 by Island Girl Talk, on Flickr

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Can anyone help ID this Peterborough?

Look on the angle piece/knee brace from the keel up to the center of the transom. See if there are any numbers stamped onto it.

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can anyone help ID this Peterborough?

It looks like a 1950's Peterborough 'Lakeside' or possible a 'Handy Boy', though I think they are wider.

Antique Boat America / Antique Boat Canada
Shrew, thanks for the advice. I don't know why it dawn on me to check out classifieds sections for similar boats, but I'm glad that you thought of it. Looking at the classifieds on there, it looks like it could be a Lakeside or a Handy Boy model. As for the year, there's a 1940 for sale on there that looks really similar in regards to the molding where the open area meets the deck. That boat also has the Peterborough logo closer to the center of the hull instead of near the stern, so I'm wondering if my old Peterborough may be of that vintage too.

Look on the angle piece/knee brace from the keel up to the center of the transom. See if there are any numbers stamped onto it.
Joed, thanks for the tip. The boat unfortunately has fallen apart, but I can try to find that piece in the spring once the snow melts. That might confirm things for me.

Thanks for your help! :)