Fuel pick-up screen on Moeller 033500-24

I am replacing my fuel pickup. It's in a 160gal tank below the deck. The old PU has been removed, and has a heavy brass screen filter assembly at the end of the flexible tube.

In my attempt to remove the filter from the tubing, I had to revert to trashing the crimp collar that secures the flex hose to the assembly.

Any suggestions on replacing this collar? The screen assy is a tight fit into the tank so anything must have an OD of less than .500 and an ID to fit over the tube more than .440. I don't want the next guy pulling on it only to lose it at the bottom on the tank. I have not seen a total filter assembly replacement to buy either.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fuel pick-up screen on Moeller 033500-24

Welcome to iboats.

Don't worry about the screen in the tank however, I would make sure there was a good replaceable filter outside the tank. For a pickup line you can go to home depot lowes or a hardware store and get a brass tube..... brass will serve you best.

Welcome to iboats.

Don't worry about the screen in the tank however, I would make sure there was a good replaceable filter outside the tank. For a pickup line you can go to home depot lowes or a hardware store and get a brass tube..... brass will serve you best.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.
I believe the purpose is 2 fold, keep big stuff out of the stream, anything the size or smaller than the screen may choke the antisiphon valve. Second is that its weight will keep the pickup well planted on the bottom.
The tank specs say the tank is 18" deep at the center. A pounding out in the Atlantic without something like this and the hose may drift upwars and suck air. May not be likely, but you never know.
Thanks again.

limitout

Banned

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.
I believe the purpose is 2 fold, keep big stuff out of the stream, anything the size or smaller than the screen may choke the antisiphon valve. Second is that its weight will keep the pickup well planted on the bottom.
The tank specs say the tank is 18" deep at the center. A pounding out in the Atlantic without something like this and the hose may drift upwars and suck air. May not be likely, but you never know.
Thanks again.

thats why you replace it with a brass tube so it is fixed in position just off the bottom and you can measure and trim it to size.

just make sure you put a slight angle to the cut so it can block itself off if its too deep, im not talking anything like a 45* but more like a 15* angle.

a boat isn't a off road truck and has no suspension to absorb impacts so if your boat is bouncing hard enough to make the flexible fuel pickup line move off the bottom then slow down

Last edited: