Square hole steering wheel on a tapered shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I found a nice used steering wheel I'd like to use. It's got the square mercury type hole but was mounted on a tapered shaft teleflex helm. The key way was still used and wedged in there vs sliding in a cut grove. I'm wanting to use it and mount the wheel on my tapered shaft but has anybody else done this. I know it's not ideal but how well is the fit? It's on a 60 hp.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Square hole steering wheel on a tapered shaft

Kind of got a tough one there. You DO NOT want to lose steering, on the water! trust me.

You'll have to get imaginative. I'm sure there is a way to "shim it" so that it is a tight junction.

You will want to have the round shaft key wedged into one of the corners of the square hole wheel hub. Plus, I suggest adding Shim Stock (metal) to the other three corners. With that done, you could build up the rest of the round shaft with epoxy and cloth.

Just a suggestion.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer

Kind of got a tough one there. You DO NOT want to lose steering, on the water! trust me.

Just a suggestion.

Copy that! My current wheel is all plastic and has a small crack so do I loose my steering from a jagged broken wheel or just have a nice wheel that free spins? Lol. Hopefully somebody will say it's been done and works OK.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

this is an all around BAD idea.... just forget it..... get a proper wheel for the shaft.... Of all the places in your boat you might cut corners (pun intended) the steering is NOT the place to do it.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer

this is an all around BAD idea.... just forget it..... get a proper wheel for the shaft.... Of all the places in your boat you might cut corners (pun intended) the steering is NOT the place to do it.
I could not find an adapter that goes from round to square but I still need a usable wheel. Tis the season to be drained by the wife and two kids not by the boat. Know the feeling? I'll keep scrounging for the proper size.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

understand..... you have made a wise decision....... something about a round peg in a square hole.....

There are adapters, I had to go that route. It's been a little while, but as I recall it was Eddie Marine that helped me find what I needed. I'd call them up and see if they can help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Old 1970s Glastrons used that Merc Ride Guide steering. Salvage a steering hub from one of them and make an adapter or better yet, salvage the whole helm--it is rack and pinion.

If you can't find a helm: It really depends upon how much you like the wheel. You can remove the square hub and using epoxy resin put in a hub with the correct tapered hole then just to be sure, pin it with three or four roll pins. But that is a lot of work and there are so many nice steering wheels out there, why bother?

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant

A case of beer and a local machinest.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Any local machine shops in your area should be able to make an adaptor without much trouble. Worst they can say in no so give it a shot.

limitout

Banned

A case of beer and a local machinest.

Any local machine shops in your area should be able to make an adaptor without much trouble. Worst they can say in no so give it a shot.

or he could just buy any number of a dozen "basic" steering wheels that fit his hub for only $25 and free shipping, they are all over ebay

I doubt you can get a machinest to do anything for $25

Last edited:

Kindfisher

Recruit
Did you ever find a solution to this problem ??? I have a steering wheel and the boss/hub is broken and need a replacementbhb.jpgbhf.jpgswb.jpgswf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.