Stainless Steel boat?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Noticed this on CL, just wondering what the heck it is. Would it really be stainless? Or aluminum with a clueless seller?

19' Cuddy Cabin

SS_Cuddy.jpg

"19' Cuddy Cabin stainless steel hull...Boat needs restoration and tender loving care"

Last edited:

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stainless Steel boat?

I say aluminium with a clueless seller:laugh:

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Didnt I see that boat on "key largo" lol

64osby

Admiral

I have seen listings of a few stainless utility boats from the 50's, Starcraft made them. More info would be nice. That would be a battle tank if it were stainless.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Interesting cabin design, thinking homemade?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

And with a Fat-Fifty to boot. Agree with Aluminum construction. Athough that Fatty could push it if it was made of cement block....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I say aluminium with a clueless seller:laugh:

Plus 3. No way Jose on that being SS. Never heard of a SS boat in my life and it has been filled with boating since I could poop by myself. Besides cost, weight would be a huge factor. Looks like an Arkansas Traveller or something similar with possibly a home made cabin. Check out Texas Maid or Lone Star boats for similar alum. hulls.

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Seems unlikely a 19 ft ss boat would be on what appears to be a somewhat small single axle trailer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

there were a few stainless boats that were made from the 50's and 60's infact, even Starcraft made a few.

if it is, my guess 316L sheet. wouldnt need to be more than 14 gauge. would need more info. However most likely a clueless seller and an aluminum hull.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

SS would not be a bad material for a displacement boat. Would be a nice ride in the chop, and super strong and durable.

Not the same, but a lot of enthusiast road bicyclists are switching from aluminum back to steel frames. A high-quality steel frame is not much heavier than aluminum, but flexes and provides a much better ride on the road. You just need to determine what is important to you. Of course, that begs the question...why are there no fiberglass bicycles?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

SS would not be a bad material for a displacement boat. Would be a nice ride in the chop, and super strong and durable.

Not the same, but a lot of enthusiast road bicyclists are switching from aluminum back to steel frames. A high-quality steel frame is not much heavier than aluminum, but flexes and provides a much better ride on the road. You just need to determine what is important to you. Of course, that begs the question...why are there no fiberglass bicycles?

There are various type of bicycles made from carbon fiber and different composites that use a glass lay-up/vacuum assembly...also, some of the coolest bikes made are constructed from bamboo!

64osby

Admiral

Stainless Steel boats to Bamboo Bicycles we have it all here at iboats.

1952_Starcraft_Ad.JPG

The op's cl ad is most likely aluminum based on the size.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Galvanized Steel hulls? Who would have thought of that? You would not think they were good for salt water, although there are lots of steel-hulled commercial boats. How would they hold up in freshwater?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There were any number of Companies building steel boats in the 20s 30s 40, and 50s
Mullins is one company that made row boats, outboards and inboard steel boats.
One of the companies made Youngstown steel cabinets.
I think Sears and Montgomery Ward sold steel boats.
We had a cottage in the 1000 islands.
When I was 8 years old I had an old Steel boat with an old 2.5 Elgin motor.
Later as an adult I salvaged a homemade steel boat that I found in about 2 ft of water
in a bay I was exploring. Despite their many years of exposure they were not ravaged by rust.
I guess the galvanizing really works.The only leaks were along damaged seams at the transoms.

Last edited: