Smart Tabs Are Great

MikeB0307

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, during the rebuild of our 1978 Angler CC, much of the wood in her was replaced with new light weight composites. Sounds great for many reasons, but caused one big problem. She was too light up front, which caused a serious proposing issue when ANY trim was applied to the motor. She even proposed slightly with the motor all the way down. When I googled "boat proposing fix" the first thing to pop up was Smart Tabs. So, after some research we decided it was an inexpensive attempt to solve an unacceptable issue. We installed the recommended set and hit the water, with them at their medium setting we planed almost instantly and no proposing, until I hit the trim switch, then the rodeo was on! So I called Nauticus, they were awesome! Told me to adjust them to max setting and try again. We did and still proposed as soon as we trimmed the motor up at all. So, I called them back, they sent me a new, heavier set of actuators, at no charge! I swapped them out and took her out. Perfection! Planes in seconds with no bow rise, rides like a dream, handles wakes and big chop like a champ and best of all, I can trim the motor to its optimum position for great ride, easy steering, top speed, and proper rpms. All in all, the best I could have ever hoped for from a product and a company that is willing to go out of their way to solve your issues. I have to give Nauticus and Smart Tabs the highest recommendation. Thanks for fixing our baby without breaking our bank!

MikeB0307

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Smart Tabs Are Great

I also have to add that the boat gained speed, gained fuel mileage, and stopped it's "wandering" at idle speeds. So, to the few people I saw posting negatives about them I can only say, " try it before you knock it!".

2004 Hurricane 202 Fundeck W/ 4 stroke Yamaha 150

Has anyone put smart tabs on a hurricane Fundeck 202 to correct slow speed wandering.

superbenk

Commander

Really loved having Smart Tabs. Considering them for the new boat but we'll see how it does for a bit first without them. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I also have to add that the boat gained speed, gained fuel mileage, and stopped it's "wandering" at idle speeds. So, to the few people I saw posting negatives about them I can only say, " try it before you knock it!".

I've always been suspicious that the naysayers had never actually tried them. I love what they've done for my boat. I assume Bennetts would do nice things too but pricing had to enter into my decision back when I made it.

This is hardly unique to boating. You ought to read what is written about table saws on woodworking forums! And generally by people whose only experience with a particular brand was looking at it in a store.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Glad the SmartTabs worked for you. My experience has been pretty much the same. They really do make a surprising difference. I think part of the problem is that they do almost sound too good to be true. They correct a number of very annoying problems for less cost than most boating-related fixes. I guess that makes some people suspicious! Interestingly, you don't hear too many people who have actually used SmartTabs complain about them at all...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've always been suspicious that the naysayers had never actually tried them. I love what they've done for my boat. I assume Bennetts would do nice things too but pricing had to enter into my decision back when I made it.

I have what is essentially a bennett trim tab (wake-plate) on my current boat, and although it does many of things smart tab will do, it also lacks in others. I've owned very similar boats that also had smart tabs on, so its fairly easy to make a direct comparison.

My current hydraulic tab is good at very slow speeds, I can force it down if I need to maintain plane with more weight/slower speed. I can also pull it up if I want to play. (jet boat) What the hydraulic tab doesn't give me is the ride quality. Smart tabs move all the time, they are dissipating energy much like a shock in a car does. With my jet boat, it isn't uncommon to get airborne, and landing with smart tabs was noticeably softer. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much affect, but they do. Don't have to get airborne even, it just feels softer overall. It is NOT the same feeling as mashing the bow into the waves with the hydraulic tab.