My Boat Shopping Odyssey

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I started this thread a month ago when I realized I'd have to give up my Four Winns and move on sometime in the near future...

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics-questions-not-engine-topics/almost-time-simplify-631813.html

Well, once you say it, you gotta do it, right?

I like flybridge boats and have considered them often, but I didn't like the long climb to the bridge and the fact that 'hanging out' up there effectively segregates me from everyone else on the boat. Well, I found a type of boat that I wasn't aware of before- it's called a Command Bridge. There're only 3 steps up to the bridge and you can easily converse with guests in the cockpit. I've checked out 3 locally...

1. Chris Craft 292 Catalina. CC calls it a Sunbridge but it's the same thing. Their's was a twin-screw inboard with a lot of room inside. Galley is small for the size of the boat. The 'uh-uh' factor was the placement of the motors. They're spread to the extreme sides of the hull, to the extent that I don't think you could change plugs on the 'outboard' cylinder banks without pulling the manifolds first.

2. Bayliner 2858/288 Command Bridge. Single outdrive, and I swear you could make a sleeping berth in the engine room. Imagine changing the plugs sitting next to the engine. Almost unbelievable access to the engine, batts, water heater, etc. They get an 11 out of 10 for that. The 288 I checked out was too expensive for me (good price, though). I was disappointed by the 'cheap' factor, though. Not exactly a surprise considering its price point, but I hoped it would be less obvious. Head area was also kinda small and the second berth was a bit weird- it's in a cave under the dinette.

3. This is the one. http://carveryachts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/26-Command-Bridge_Sedan_92.pdf

I found this beauty on yachtworld 50 miles from home. 1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge. It's a one-owner, fanatic-owned, absolutely pristine boat that's been kept at the same marina for the past ten years. They have a maintenance file 2 inches thick. It's got all new canvas. Everything is spotless- you'd think the boat was 5 years old instead of 21. The owner died a year or so ago and his widow is selling it through a broker.

It isn't perfect (dual Merc Alpha 4.3's in the same beam as my boat), but the entire cockpit opens for access. It's doable. I'll also need to add A/C, but it was offered as an option starting in 93 or 94, so I'll be dropping a note to Carver. Hopefully they can provide some info on where/how the components were installed and routed.

Anyway, I made a deal and tomorrow I plunk down 10% and sign a contingency contract. In April or May I'll do the complete survey and sea trial. Here's hoping.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: My Boat Shopping Odyssey

Nice. Late Fall / early winter is a great time to buy a boat so that you can be ready for the next boating season. this boat is maybe a bit smaller than your current boat (?), but a better layout ?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Nice. Late Fall / early winter is a great time to buy a boat so that you can be ready for the next boating season. this boat is maybe a bit smaller than your current boat (?), but a better layout ?

Actually, the Carver's LOA is a foot longer. Yes, it has a nicer layout than the Four Winns. I'm giving up my man cave to sleep on the sofa in the Carver, but that's fine with me. The cabin is light and bright, the galley is bigger and the head is a bit bigger. It's an attractive boat all-around. No lower helm station, but the upper is great- nice helm seat and a wrap-around lounge up there. Linda fell in love with the layout when we looked at a '91 that was being sold locally, but it wasn't in near the same condition as this one, and neither of us liked the seller.

What the heck- here's the actual boat; http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...188/City-Island/NY/United-States#.UpI33OIljnE

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

Nice looking boat. . . Good use of the space.

Incidentally, there is a guy on another forum who had a Carver very similar to that one, if not the same model. Unfortunately, he lost the boat in a storage facility fire over the winter this past year.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The Carver's a fine boat, and everyone should be so lucky to find one that was kept so well.

And the 4.3's are really fine engines. You can easily buy air conditioning for marine use--using water to heat and cool. You can probably find all about it on the internet and/or at WestMarine.com.

Good luck to you on this one.

southkogs

Staff member

Whoah! Based on your other post … that ain't what I was thinkin' you were gonna' get! Nice looking boat though - hope it works out for ya'!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

beautiful boat.... ur gonna LOVE it.... looks like you upgraded IMHO

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Whoah! Based on your other post ? that ain't what I was thinkin' you were gonna' get!

Tell me about it! I was as surprised as you are! :facepalm:

I dragged my surveyor friend Tom to see 5 boats in 3 weeks. I looked at 4 others by myself. Realized right away that we weren't going to be happy with a downgrade from all the stuff we have on the current boat.

I had to figure out what the real sticking point(s) were, and it boiled down to having access to all the stuff in the ER. My FW is just a mess because of the small hatches. The rear half of the engines is covered by decking. Can't get to them, the water heater, trim pumps and stuff like that. I spent SIX HOURS replacing the bilge blower last summer, and it put me out of commission for 2 days. I even tried to figure a way to enlarge the opening, but on that boat you run into structural support issues if you try. It just has to go.

My personal favorite was a 30' Luhrs Alura. They're beautiful boats- downeast style. Single screw inboard, and I was already planning for a bow thruster install. The downside for Linda was that the cabin is kinda tight, and you have to break down the dinette to make the forward v-berth. Those were 2 reasons we upgraded to the FW in the first place, so I hadda eliminate it.

Even though the engine install is tight on the Carver, you can see in one of the pics that the hatch opening is huge. I'll be building a 'plank' 18-24" wide that'll span the opening fore-aft and slot into the rain channel surrounding the hatches. I can move it around as needed to access everything from above, lying on the plank. If I design it right it can do double duty as a gangplank for leaving/boarding the boat from whatever dock we happen to be at. I also plan to hinge the hatch covers and add springlifts to make them easier to manage (they're heavy muthas). Did that on a previous boat and it worked well.

Ya do what ya can. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to see you made a quick decision. Hopefully this new layout and engine room access will give you the space and comfort you were looking for.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, it's done for now. I forked over a 10% deposit and signed the contract today. Now we wait until April for survey and sea trial.

Gonna call my winter marina guy tomorrow and start conversin' about selling the Four Winns.

tpenfield

Staff member

Well, it's done for now. I forked over a 10% deposit and signed the contract today. Now we wait until April for survey and sea trial.

Gonna call my winter marina guy tomorrow and start conversin' about selling the Four Winns.

Was the seller OK about waiting until spring to close the deal?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Oh, yeah- it's a typical arrangement up here. Once the boats are on the hard and winterized there really isn't any other way to do it. Nobody (buyer or seller) is gonna pay to dewinterize and unwrap the boat, and then pay to have it all done again.

I've done this before- signed a contract that essentially gives me 'first right of refusal' come spring. The seller can continue to advertise, and consider as many offers as he wants in the meantime; but those bidders wait in line until I either complete the purchase at the agreed price, or turn my back on it if the inspections don't go well. By the same token, I can't hold things up. As soon as the weather turns decent I'll be expected to do the survey and finish up my piece.

If you go back to the Yachtworld listing in a week, there should be a 'Sale Pending' blurb in the ad.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yesterday, surveyor friend Tom and I spent two hours surveying the Carver 26 'on the hard'. The survey confirmed our impressions from last fall- this is a really nice, well cared for boat. We found only 2 semi-serious problems that need to be corrected-

1- the outdrives' trim/tilt was disabled because of some sticking switches on the bridge. If you hit the 'up' button on the the port drive, it won't stop until it's out of the water. The PO didn't really need or use the trim, so they disconnected it. The hydraulic trim hoses look pretty rough, too. I'm waiting for feedback from the owner's widow to see if she'll just take care of it, or if I'll need to chip in something on the repair.

2. The seacock for the head is frozen solid. That needs to be replaced- it's a non negotiable safety item as far as I'm concerned.

The only other issues we uncovered are an inoperable horn and bridge/cockpit courtesy lights (4 in total). Simple fixes.

The boat is simply beautiful and every other item works (even all the nav lights!). Deck, hull and transom are all dry, there are no window leaks, upholstery is great. I could go on and on. Weather permitting, we'll sea trial it a week from tomorrow. The yard's mechanic insists that it's a great running boat, so I'm pretty optimistic.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

Great to hear things went well. Best wishes for a good sea trail. I'm sure you are syched about the 'new' boat .

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks!

Just got some more good news from the broker. The owner has agreed to foot the bill for the seacock and T&T repairs. That leaves only a couple of minor issues so far. I can easily fix those myself. Sea trial coming up soon, and any mechanical issues will reveal themselves then. I'm always ready to walk away, but I have a strong hunch that this deal is gonna go through.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, did the sea trial today, and it was one cold ride! However, the boat ran every bit as well as I'd hoped it would. Engines smooth, coolant temps and oil pressure fine; and it rode nice and smooth. No strange noises from the outdrives, so... it's a done deal. I'll complete payment next week and get her registered and insured.

Tom and I (and our wives) decided that if the boat seemed fine during the trial, we'd drive it home from City Island (the Bronx) rather than have it transported, so that's what we're looking to do on May 3rd or 4th. Down the East River to where it meets the Hudson, out into the ocean and back 'inside' (into the Great South Bay) by either Jones Inlet or Fire Island inlet. Tom and I haven't done the full float plan yet, but we guessstimate it at 70 miles. Tom has cruised the East and Hudson rivers several times in the past and says it's a great ride. I'll gather a set of engine belts and a bunch of fuel/water separators and start stocking the boat for the trip. My Boat Tow US insurance is paid up.

I'm pretty stoked. I don't consider this the best boat deal I've ever made price-wise, but it's more than reasonable, and the boat itself is a real beauty.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

Sounds like a very nice trip. Congrats!

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im jealous... I hope you enjoy!