newbie - help choosing a 14-15' used aluminum boat for use on 1000+ acre lakes

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi and thanks in advance for any advice. I'm looking to purchase a small aluminum boat to use primarily for fishing. This boat will primarily be used in a 1200 acre lake (max lake depth about 70' if it matters). I would like to have one we could take over to the puget sound or the columbia river if ever desired, but it's not my primary emphasis. We are a family of 4 so want one that we could all be out on at times, but oftentimes I suspect it could be just me out alone...and sometimes with one of my kids.

The boat will be moored in the water through the summer. I want to keep maintenance and problems to a minimum and am trying to keep my costs down by purchasing a used boat ($1000 - $1750 range). I figure by keeping my costs down if we don't use it or if we decide we want something a bit different over time I'm not out a lot of $.

I was thinking aluminum because I like the idea of being able to power it when trolling with an electric trolling motor.

One of my specific questions is whether a 15" transom is fine, or if I should look for a 20" transom? Also, I've seen some people build up the 15" transom to run a long shaft motor, any concerns with that?

I also see various beam widths. Is there a minimum beam width that you'd recommend for stability?

I see deep V, semi-V, modified V and square flat bottoms. I think I want to stay away from a flat bottom boat. Are advantages/disadvantages to the others that would matter to me?

Is the age of the boat a concern? I see lots of them going back into the 70s that still appear to be in good condition.

From reading through the forums and doing some initial research I think 14' is about right....let me know if that seems off. Lots of great deals out there on 12' but I am thinking those might be too small.

Any particular brands that are either recommended, or ones to stay away from?

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read this and respond with your thoughts.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: newbie - help choosing a 14-15' used aluminum boat for use on 1000+ acre lakes

Check out Xpress Boats and Sea Ark boats....they both make a full line of rugged, all-welded, all-aluminum boats......of course there are many other makers of quality aluminum/Jon boats, but these are a couple of good ones...?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: newbie - help choosing a 14-15' used aluminum boat for use on 1000+ acre lakes

Hi and welcome to iboats.

Have to answer your question with a bunch of questions. sorry.

Are you looking for a boat, or boat and outboard motor, or boat motor and trailer?

Simple utility boat with bench seats? or pedestal seats?

I would shop for a 14-16' utility, aluminum v hull.

14' can get crowded fast, especially with more than 2 people and gear.

Not a jon boat.

Alumacraft, Lund, Starcraft, Sea Nymph, Lowe, Blue Fin, etc.

Wider beam is better. 64-70" wide is good.

15" transom is fine, but prefer 20". Boats with 20" transoms usually have higher sides as well.

One thing many people don't consider when buying a boat of this type, is seat height.
Some have seats that are just 11" high, while others are 16" high. That makes a world of difference in
your seating comfort.

How do you plan on keeping the boat from filling with rain water? You will likely need a bilge pump, and that means a battery.
Smaller boats don't often have them, so you will likely need to add it yourself.

1982 14 ft Mirror Craft Lumi w/ Trailer

Blue Fin 16' Aluminum Fishing Boat

Last edited:

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here is a sample picture of the smallest 14 footer you would safely use .Some of the older tinnys were built like tanks.

Attachments

• final ford 027.jpg
    final ford 027.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you looking for a boat, or boat and outboard motor, or boat motor and trailer?

Simple utility boat with bench seats? or pedestal seats?

How do you plan on keeping the boat from filling with rain water?

Thanks for the responses. Some answers:
Looking for a boat with outboard motor and trailer...basically a turn key package.

Bench seats are fine but would add cushioned swivels seats for comfort. Pedestal would probably be okay but if all 4 of us go it seems the design of those sometimes doesn't allow all of us to sit well.

Good point on the boat filling with rain water. I could either keep a cover on it and/or add a bilge pump.

Thanks again!

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looked at an Alumacraft today. Owner says it doesn't leak. I noticed in the bow of the boat on the inside what appears to be caulking (see pic). Says previous owner had done that. Thoughts on this? thanks

alumacraft.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Good tin boats come at a premium in our State. 14' is the price break for sure, when you go to 16' it's going to be out of your price range here no matter what it's shape. Leaving a little boat moored on the Wa State coastal area lakes would be a bad idea. Storms bring inches of rain and sometimes extreme winds. I'm afraid a little boat would not fair too well. I grew up on the mighty Columbia river and if you've been on the river then you know how that big river can turn ugly quick. Also the current near the hydro is crazy at times. I wouldn't feel too comfortable on a boat smaller than a 16'.

The picture you posted above, looks like there is a leak that some one tried to fix with bathroom caulk. It would be easy to repair correctly.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

4 people, even 2 small children gets uncomfortable real fast in a 14' boat. 14'ers generally have a narrow beam which is not as stable as a wider one. With small boats every inch of beam adds to stability and safety. The reason for low seating in small boats is to keep the center of gravity low for stability. A higher transom usually means higher gunnels and additional safety and comfort. I took ONE person in my 14'er a couple times, never more. The extra 2' in a 16'er adds length, beam, and gunnel height but can still be cramped with 4 people. My 21'er says 9 person capacity but 4 is great, 6 still comfy but beyond would be cramped. Even thinking of the sound or Columbia in a 14'er is like a death wish, should be 18 or bigger. On the small lake you can easily get by with a 25 hp, possibly a little less. On the sound or Columbia anything under 50 hp does not make sense. StarCraft, Sylvan and others are good ~~~ Lund is probably the best.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, if we took the puget sound and columbia river out of the mix, and said this boat was just going to be a fishing boat out on a 1200 acre lake, thoughts on whether 14' is enough? I do have a family of four (two kids) so I want it big enough that we could all go on a nice day if everyone wants to. I suspect many times it will be myself and maybe my 10 yo.

Also, my hope was to leave it in the water much of the summer months in a slip at the lake. I can add an auto bilge to it. My goal was to make it easy to use without having to put it in and out each time.

Really appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

buckhorn7

Cadet

In the west Gregor or Klamath are solid boats in that size, but don't risk your family.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I definitely don't want to put the family at risk, hence my questions. I do appreciate the concern expressed by everyone. Keep those thoughts/ideas coming. :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Oh yeah a 14'er was made for the smaller bodies of water so the only question would be if everyone could get on board.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Eliminating those two is a huge help. I still believe with 4 on board you will be cramped enough on a 14'er that it will have some not wanting to go after a few trips. If you go less than 16' and want to continue with the family you will be buying bigger real soon.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you though of saving a little more and finding a used pontoon?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

With a family of 4 a 14 foot utility is definitely out of the question for no other reason than safety. It is just too small and will only become smaller as the kids grow. A 16 footer is a much more roomy and a far safer alternative, and they are abundant in most areas. Keep in mind that you will have a portable fuel tank for the outboard motor to contend with. You will have at least one tackle box, a bait bucket, fishing poles, cooler, towels, life jackets and a host of other stuff to deal with so again, a 14 footer is a very poor choice. Since you also mentioned an electric trolling motor, that means you now need room for a large deep cycle battery. You, the fuel tank, the battery, and engine, and the troller, are all positioned at the back of the boat. I hope you are getting the picture we are trying to portray. Buy a 14 footer and I gurantee one of two things is going to happen. 1) after just a few outings you will be looking for a bigger boat. 2) The family will lose interest in going out due to congestion.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have fished many many times with 4 people in a 14ft boat and unless you are bobber fishing, it will not be very comfortable, its cramped and not that safe. Look for a 16ft or bigger boat. Earlier this year I grabbed a 16.5ft Sea Nymph and its worlds better with 4 people than any 14ft boat I've fished from. Even then with 4 adults casting it can be crowded but its safe and works bobber fishing is fine. Too bad you're not near me as its for sale.

pckeen

Commander

It looks like you are looking at utility boats (plain aluminum boats with no floor) - which is a great inexpensive choice for fishing. Don't get a 14'. A lot of 14 footers are not rated for four people (many are rated only for three), and 14' gets very cramped, very fast. For what you are looking for, I would suggest a 16' utility boat, with a manual start outboard. You are not looking at going fast, and given that you want to be fishing - you'll probably want a 20hp motor or larger. You can fish with smaller outboard motors, but you may have problems getting up on plane.

In terms of that type of boat - if it doesn't leak, and the wood in the transom is solid, then you will be in good shape.

In terms of the transom, I wouldn't get too excited over it being 15" or 20" - you need to ensure your transom matches the motor.

In terms of your price range, I don't know your local market, but up in Minnesota and Northern Ontario, $1000-$1700 can get you an older 16' tin boat, older trailer, and older but running two stroke motor. The older two strokes are great motors, easy to work on, but they often require some tinkering, can be hard to start, and require some know-how to get the idle right. All of this is quite doable, but you need to be willing to spend the time sorting this out.

If you really want a turn key boat, with no issues, consider buying a used boat and trailer then buying a newer four stroke motor. A new 15-20 horse four stroke will run you from $2200-$3200, and up. I would suggest waiting for a while and keeping an eye out for someone who is getting rid of newer model low hours motor, and picking that up.

Good luck!

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I'm hearing that I should really be looking for a 16' boat. While out looking at boats someone said I should consider fiberglass since my goal is to moor it at the lake for the summer. I don't have the option of a covered slip or a hoist, so whatever I get will be exposed to the elements a bit. I can put a cover on it. Thoughts on aluminum vs fiberglass?

Fiberglass is heavier of course but I have the truck to pull it and if it's in the water all summer no big deal. I was trying to keep things simple. Could move to a 16' fiberglass boat (something like an old crestliner). Thoughts on that? While my goal wasn't to be able to pull a tube or anything...but once you go fiberglass I am seeing dual purpose boats and with kids maybe that is something I should consider??

I guess the bottom line question is whether a fiberglass boat at 16' is something that should be considered if mooring all summer.

Thanks again for all the help...giving me some good things to think about.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'd stay away from older glass boats if you are looking for a turn key operation. There are just too many other issues that can be hidden on an older glass boat, structural damage as in wood rot within the glass.

Why would it be easier to moor a glass boat over an aluminum? I see no difference, still have the same elements and conditions to contend with. Also why keep it moored? I run a 16' aluminum that is kept trailered. With a little practice I can launch or retrieve in about 5 min., even when I'm alone. Also most ramps around here it is common to by a season pass which allows unlimited use and is usually cheaper than buying a seasonal mooring spot. Which also in my minds eye keeps the boat much safer.

As you can see in my signiture I have run a 14' Lund S14 which is a nice stable boat and had done well on larger lakes. Only problem is that yes it does get crowded with 4 people on board. I now have a 16' Alumacraft which is much more comfortable but still feels crowded with 4 on board. Especially if it's 4 adults!

My suggestions would be Lund 16' Alaskan or Rebel, 16' Alumacraft Lunker, Fisherman or Classic or something simular in size and design.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is very clear that you have not thought this through very well and are not getting the best advice from your friends. A glass boat is going to look like junk when left in the water all season. Both types will get covered with scum but an aluminum boat can be cleaned with most any cleaner without damaging the finish (which it may or may not even be painted). Glass boats, especially the older varieties have lots of wood in them. Wet wood means rotten wood. Stick with aluminum. You need a smaller engine, far less maintenance, and they are easier to tow -- although in that size fuel economy shouldn't be an issue. In the 16 foot range you find lots of aluminum and glass boats with side consoles which means the boat is controlled with a steering wheel. Although that may look cool, it takes up valuable space and it is a real pain for the operator of the boat to fish from the helm so you always need to have people moving around. A tiller steered boat in that size would actually be more roomy. A tiller steered boat also gives you the option of looking for the boat, motor and trailer separately or as a package or any combination of the three. Money can be saved that way and you get exactly what you want.