Harbor Freight Air Rivet Tool

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Getting ready to do some work in my boat which will include using blind rivets. Bought the HF air tool with 1/4" capacity. Based on reviews they either are crap right out of the box or give good to great service. So, gave it a test to see which one I had and so I can return it immediately if a problem.

Tested it at 100 psi on a 1/4" blind rivet. I bought a bunch of these years ago and have destroyed two supposed "heavy duty" manual tools trying to set one.

Drilled a 1/4" hole in some 1/8" aluminum. Stuck the mandrel in the gun, inserted the rivet in the hole, pulled the trigger and - wham! Fully set with one trigger pull (see attached photos).

I don't know if I'll use the 1/4" blind rivets in my project, but, it's nice to know I can pull them if I do.

Only issue with the gun so far: The bottom is supposed to unscrew to allow checking the oil reservoir. Tried the enclosed spanner and up to a 24" pipe wrench - no way that sucker is coming off. I guess I'll end up using the gun till performance drops off due to insufficient oil in the reservoir, then buy a new one. Oh well. That's HF :)

Attachments

• .25 Rivet Test Back.JPG
    .25 Rivet Test Back.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • .25 Rivet Test Head.jpg
    .25 Rivet Test Head.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Harbor Freight Air Rivet Tool

I have one that I bought to redo a snowmobile tunnel but was to lazy to drag the compressor down to my sled shop/room. Ended up doing about 100 rivets by hand. lol. I wont ever do that again. Thing is still brand new and I need to find a use for it.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

I too am pleasantly surprised with mine.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Only issue with the gun so far: The bottom is supposed to unscrew to allow checking the oil reservoir.

:confused:There is no oil reservoir on a pneumatic riveter. If you unscrew that bottom bolt, all you will find is an aluminum plate with a rubber gasket around it. That large chamber is an air chamber which allows the riveter to function when triggered. The small chamber next to it is just the plunger operating area. The only oil the tool needs is a few drops in the air inlet prior to use or nothing at all if you use an inline air oiler.

I have been using my HF riveter in a commercial capacity for 10 + years now. Never failed me yet!

kfa4303

Banned

Sounds like a cool tool. Does anyone have a pic? Could I use 1/4" rivets to secure down decking? I used stainless steel screws, which have worked ok, but a few are starting to back out :/

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

sure you could.... you can use REEVETS to secure just about anything in Tinny's world

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

:confused:There is no oil reservoir on a pneumatic riveter.

Its an air over hydraulic riveter... Of course there is oil in it! Don't know if they make a pure pneumatic one only.

Per the manual:
Note: If the riveter?s performance declines, it may be due to insufficient hydraulic oil.
Refill the hydraulic oil using the procedure below.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

Getting ready to do some work in my boat which will include using blind rivets. Bought the HF air tool with 1/4" capacity. Based on reviews they either are crap right out of the box or give good to great service. So, gave it a test to see which one I had and so I can return it immediately if a problem.

Tested it at 100 psi on a 1/4" blind rivet. I bought a bunch of these years ago and have destroyed two supposed "heavy duty" manual tools trying to set one.

Drilled a 1/4" hole in some 1/8" aluminum. Stuck the mandrel in the gun, inserted the rivet in the hole, pulled the trigger and - wham! Fully set with one trigger pull (see attached photos).

I don't know if I'll use the 1/4" blind rivets in my project, but, it's nice to know I can pull them if I do.

Only issue with the gun so far: The bottom is supposed to unscrew to allow checking the oil reservoir. Tried the enclosed spanner and up to a 24" pipe wrench - no way that sucker is coming off. I guess I'll end up using the gun till performance drops off due to insufficient oil in the reservoir, then buy a new one. Oh well. That's HF :)

Now is the time to do an exchange. Just make sure you can get the plug off before you go home.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Now is the time to do an exchange. Just make sure you can get the plug off before you go home.

I purchased the 1 year extended warranty for $12. User reviews indicate it takes a long time for the oil in the reservoir (which is apparently in the trigger plunger) to become an issue. I'll be done with my project in a couple of months - under the warranty I'll be able to return it then (reason being the bottom won't unscrew), if I want.

In the meantime, I'm going to squirt some PB Blaster in the seam and let it cook for awhile - maybe that will help loosen it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have an air riveter. Not the HF one but another Chinese one. It is awesome especially for Stainless pop rivets. Never used them on the type the OP is using however.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Very nice, I got to get me one of those before too much longer. No way I'm hand popping 200 rivets. So is the 1/4" one just a bit tougher than the 3/16" model?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And don't forget to use the coupon or coupon code if ordering online, gets you 25% off. :)

Code is : 65149244 good thru nov 30th.

Brings the price down to $56.

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Very nice, I got to get me one of those before too much longer. No way I'm hand popping 200 rivets. So is the 1/4" one just a bit tougher than the 3/16" model?

Apparently it is. I've only had (limited - one 1/4" rivet) experience with the 1/4" model.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

And don't forget to use the coupon or coupon code if ordering online, gets you 25% off. :)

Code is : 65149244 good thru nov 30th. Brings the price down to $56.

I like discounts and that pushed me over the edge to make the order, thanks roscoe!

4now04

Seaman

The 1/4" gun is a little larger than the 3/16" gun. I used to service them all the time in a production environment. If the gun will not pull a correct length rivet in one pull, it may need service. Secure the lower portion of the gun up side down in a fixture or vise. Pad as needed to protect the gun, and do NOT clamp tight in a vise. This may deform the air cylinder. Use the tool to unscrew the base and remove the piston/shaft assembly by attaching a pliers or vise grip to the nut on the piston and pulling straight up. Fill the center hole to the top with ATF (red hydraulic fluid). Reassemble, then remove the chrome pulling head cover, and double check the adjustment of the pulling head with the supplied wrench/gage. Use the appropriate sized nose piece for the stem diameter of the pop rivet. A rivet that is too long may take more than one pull.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

If the gun will not pull a correct length rivet in one pull, it may need service. Secure the lower portion of the gun up side down in a fixture or vise. Pad as needed to protect the gun, and do NOT clamp tight in a vise. This may deform the air cylinder. Use the tool to unscrew the base and remove the piston/shaft assembly by attaching a pliers or vise grip to the nut on the piston and pulling straight up. Fill the center hole to the top with ATF (red hydraulic fluid). Reassemble, then remove the chrome pulling head cover, and double check the adjustment of the pulling head with the supplied wrench/gage.

Yeah, that's the only problem at this time - can't budge the base.

MikeB0307

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess HF's air tools must be a lot better than their electric stuff! I burnt (literally) up 3- 3/8 drills, 2- cut off tools, and one 5/8 8" buffer while rigging out our latest boat. Never smeel so much burnt plastic/wires out of tools in my life! I finally just got frustrated with all the trips to get exchanges at HF, and bit the bullet and rode to Lowes and bought Dewalts! No burn outs since! Sometimes I guess it comes down to you get what you pay for.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

My experience with HF: (1) If it's going to be crap it will be crap almost right out of the box. Do a test drive immediately after getting back from the store. (2) If it works initially it will give a long service life under moderate use conditions. (3) if you buy one of their big tools (drill press, band saw, etc.) recognize you are buying a kit - you will have to do some modifying/tuning to make it work correctly. Also, see (1) and (2) preceding.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If I buy a power tool at Harbor Freight, its going to be a tool that I don't have to use a lot. I realize I may have to replace it if I use it more than just occasionally.