Leaky Livewell

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all;

I have an aluminum live-well in the front of my 07 Legend. It works sell but it leaks. There does not seem to be any sealer in the seams. The water just pours down the cockpit floor and it's empty in about 20 minutes. Should I just use some marine goop on there or does anyone know of a better aluminum sealer?

Re: Leaky Livewell

There are plenty of things that would work. 3M 5200 or JB Weld come to mind. On thing though is no matter what you use make sure that the surface is thoroughly clean, and go over it with something like a ScotchBrite pad to rough it up just a bit to give the sealer better adhesion.

alldodge

Staff member

It happens a lot with aluminum tanks and water. Had to replace my fresh water tank because over time tiny pin holes form. Replaced mine with a plastic composite. You could also use a gas tank sealer since it is a live well. Same issue as Metric said , it has to be real clean. If you did use the gas tank sealer, probably wouldn't need to go to the top of the tank, maybe about 1/2 way or so.

Gas Tank Sealer Kits - Eastwood Gas Tank Sealer

Bondo

Staff member

Hello all;

I have an aluminum live-well in the front of my 07 Legend. It works sell but it leaks. There does not seem to be any sealer in the seams. The water just pours down the cockpit floor and it's empty in about 20 minutes. Should I just use some marine goop on there or does anyone know of a better aluminum sealer?

Ayuh,.... Have ya Looked under, 'n behind to actually See exactly Where it's leakin',..??

Can the tank lift out,..??
can ya get to the under, 'n behind,..??
How is it plumbed,..??
To where, from where,..??

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

What holds it together? Should be tig welded and if done right I dont ever see a leak happening at the seams. Are you sure its not the plumbing?

alldodge

Staff member

What holds it together? Should be tig welded and if done right I dont ever see a leak happening at the seams. Are you sure its not the plumbing?

Google "aluminum water tank leaking" and all kinds of failures will show up.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Weird I race cars and use a alum fuel cell and a lot of guys in the area run alum turbo air to water intercoolers inside our cars. I cant think of anyone that has had any leaking issues. Ill check it out though.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I had a leak in my aluminum livewell too, I found it was a seam so I used 5200 and put a bead inside around every seam. Just be sure it's dry and clean inside.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can only see from the inside of the live well. The seams are folded over and are not welded on the inside, I can't see if it is on the outside.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will check the plumbing before I start with the sealer though.

Bondo

Staff member

I can only see from the inside of the live well. The seams are folded over and are not welded on the inside, I can't see if it is on the outside.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will check the plumbing before I start with the sealer though.

Ayuh,... I tried to google an image of yer boat, but failed,...

What I did see, is that if ya pull the row of screws from around the well,...
It'll probably lift out for repairs,...

How 'bout YOU post a picture of Yer live-well,...

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's stored for the winter. Thanks for the great advice on goop, and I'll definitely check the plumbing in the spring.