swim platform height

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys
I just got my thundercraft 162 ls w/ a 120 mercruiser I/o w/ alphaone all straightened out and my question is my swimplatform is just about submerged with no one in the boat with two adults in the helm seats it still just about level with the water im gonna make a new one outta poly board cause the old one is teak just want something less maintenance its the only teak on the boat other than glove box my guestion is should I move it up a little which no is a big deal cause I bought a telescoping ladder plus it wont be much but don't want more holes just figured I would through it out there to get some suggestions thanks in advance

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: swim platform height

The lower your swim platform is the better, as long as it does not interfere with the drive. When you are running at almost any speed it will be out of the water. At any speed it is in the vortex behind the transom and won't cause much drag.
Do you have a picture to show it?
Is it only beside the outdrive or is it above the outdrive? If it's above the outdrive and at water level your boat is too low in the water. If it is only beside the outdrive then you have a winner as it is easy to board a platform close to the water.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

awesome thanks for the quik response I do have a pic if I can figure out how to post I will but to answer the question its a small platform on one side and it has plenty of clearance from the drive so ill build a new outta poly board and call it a day other than poly board is slippery I figured some white grip tape but any suggestions are appreciated and thanks for the great reply

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

forget the tape.... won't stick... use a router or even a circular saw to cut groves in the surface...

heck cutting 1/16" deep grooves on two angles would give you a nonslip surface with a nice custom diamond pattern and then a pass around the perimeter with router and a rounding bit would clean up the edge nicely

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is great didn't even think about using the router on the surface of the platform that will be perfect I was already gonna round the corners with it I am gonna have real nice platform with that look man I love this forum thanks a lot guys ill post pics when I figure out how to and of the the boat and new platform

Last edited:

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

and I love the reevets quote I was wondering how you spelled that

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got a chance to start working on my swim platform with spring around the corner I'm on my last winter project ( platform )
And with all the good ideas it's going good I'm gonna post pics of the process as I go first one is of the platform just cut to size and I rounded the edges on a router table

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

image.jpg

Next comes putting some cut outs for drainage and traction

Last edited:

Yankeyspeed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im interested in reading how this goes. I want a platform on my boat.

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

image.jpg

Got my platform cut out now I just need to sand a little and or I might router the inside of the cut outs haven't quite made my mind up for now I'm gonna put it on and see if it's slippery or not if it is I'm probably gonna take smokeonthewater's advice and router some shallow grooves in it but I think it will be ok with the cut outs and I like the look right now

P.S. The cut outs seem to look a little off in the pic for some reason but they are straight just figured I'd mention it cause be a little bit anal it bothered me

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yankeyspeed if you want any info I'd be more then glad to share any thing that can help

Last edited:

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks smoke I really appreciate the router idea that's what led me to doing cut outs the only thing that could make it better is if I could incorporate reevets somehow