broken screws in plastic tank

kobx

Cadet
I finally managed to get my fuel sender off, using a impact screwdriver, but ended up leaving parts of some of the screws behind. Apparently I wasn't the first one to attack this because they weren't all the same screws (a couple of ss wood screws and a couple of finet thread machine screws). For the record, whats left of the screws are buried.

I've been thinking off reclocking/drilling new holes, but the original holes are in molded in bosses, and the space between them is maybe 1/4" thick. If I do this, I was thinking of plugging the holes with some left over Marine-tex from a keel repair I need to do.

I could use some input from the iboat pros, cause I'm in unfamiliar territory.

Also, I feel like I should be draining my tank. Any ideas on how to temporarily store 20+ gallons of mixed fuel?

Thanks for your time.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: broken screws in plastic tank

Pics on the fuel tank would help ~~ the fuel,,, I would add to my truck about 5 gallon to a 28 ++ gallon tank.

kobx

Cadet

Thanks for responding, Captain Jack. I'll try and post a pic tomorrow. Its from a 98 aquasport 175.

Ive read a lot of people suggest going with the ss reed switch senders from wema. I noticed their senders have 2 wires, where the sender I just removed had three? 2 were connected to a common spade "post" on the sender flange. One was attached to a post via a ring lug, the post looked like it was part of the sensor itself (in the middle of the flange). Can anyone shed any light?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Those plastic tanks GENERALLY--not always-- have a steel plate sandwiched inside the plastic and the plastic bosses are there to seal the ends of the bolts. It is possible to drill out the screws and re-tap to a larger size but you still need to take your time and be careful. If you "reclock" and drill you may--if your tank has a steel plate--run into the steel plate. If you are lucky, it will be wide enough to tap. A good gasket on top and some gasoline proof sealer on the screws would complete the job.