Is this a good price?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
2003 Sea Ray 200 Bow Rider - MarineMax - United by Water

It's near my house so I pass it daily. $13,770 advertised. Sea Ray (Select hull) specs reflect 21ft, heavier and wider than what I have so I'll have the improved ride, more power, ideal seating layout. It looks well cared for, hours are low and I'm feeling it is lift kept due to no trailer and the outdrive being mint (no corrosion).

Turn off's:
-Nearly 11 years old...
-Carb engine...
-I'd need to buy a trailer at around $2,500 (current one isn't HD enough to adapt).

Should my con's be enough to keep looking else ware?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Is this a good price?

I think that would be a decent price with a trailer, although that "21 ft" boat doesn't really have a lot of seating due to the configuration.

gtochris

I think that would be a decent price with a trailer, although that "21 ft" boat doesn't really have a lot of seating due to the configuration.

I've had 2 boats with the motor box seating and only want the sport seats next time around. This one has the pop up bolsters too.
Should age be a deterrent? I've seen my share of beat 5yo boats... Is the MPI (fuel injection) really worth insisting on for such a used purchase? I plan to keep whatever we buy next for the long haul...

Slip Away

Lieutenant

$14k with a trailer would be a "good price" Providing it's been taken care of properly.

limitout

Banned

I don't see the carb as a negative but for me it would be a plus. I like the simpler design of carbs and they are easy to maintain and work on with a lot less stuff to go bad and wear out. but then I can easily clean or rebuild the carbs as needed.

with the boat, condition is everything so its age isn't as important as its condition (to me) so years are not as important as visible signs of age when I am boat shopping.

the trailer is also a plus since you need to buy one you will have it all new and you can get the trailer you want and not have to "deal" with the trailer it comes with and any problems it has. I find trailers are what goes bad the fastest when you look at used boats.

I think from the comments above you can assume the fair value on that boat in average condition is around what they are asking and the way you describe it it sounds like its in much better then average condition. make sure you find out if the outdrive was replaced or repainted so you know why it looks new and not be guessing that its "like new" without knowing if it really is. there should be an hour meter on the engine so see how many hours are on it and that will tell you a lot.

off hand it sounds like a good deal, tell him you'll give him $11k because you have to buy a trailer and if he wont go for that see how much he will drop the price. if I were you and after checking everything out you think its like new and hardly used then I would jump on it but don't go by appearances only, check things out, see if there is a maint record for it and talk to who does the work.

just my 2 cents

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Price depends on maintenance, condition, and location. If the first 2 are very good it would go about $12,500 WITH trailer in my location. Maybe a little less as an I/O is not going to be used much without roof and curtains in winter.

Ttigger

Cadet

The NADA guide shows a range of $11,500 to $13,200.
For the price they're asking I'd negotiate for a trailer.
Boat shops are going to charge more than private party so maybe keep looking, this one's not going anywhere soon so have some time to comparison shop.

gtochris

I don't see the carb as a negative but for me it would be a plus. I like the simpler design of carbs and they are easy to maintain and work on with a lot less stuff to go bad and wear out. but then I can easily clean or rebuild the carbs as needed.

with the boat, condition is everything so its age isn't as important as its condition (to me) so years are not as important as visible signs of age when I am boat shopping.

the trailer is also a plus since you need to buy one you will have it all new and you can get the trailer you want and not have to "deal" with the trailer it comes with and any problems it has. I find trailers are what goes bad the fastest when you look at used boats.

I think from the comments above you can assume the fair value on that boat in average condition is around what they are asking and the way you describe it it sounds like its in much better then average condition. make sure you find out if the outdrive was replaced or repainted so you know why it looks new and not be guessing that its "like new" without knowing if it really is. there should be an hour meter on the engine so see how many hours are on it and that will tell you a lot.

off hand it sounds like a good deal, tell him you'll give him $11k because you have to buy a trailer and if he wont go for that see how much he will drop the price. if I were you and after checking everything out you think its like new and hardly used then I would jump on it but don't go by appearances only, check things out, see if there is a maint record for it and talk to who does the work.

just my 2 cents

I agree with you on much of this- I think it only has 2 hundred ish hours from a prior ad and when I walked around it one weekend day (had a tag on it too). I have the same perspective on trailers, our current boat didn't come with one and it was best I bought new for a few hundred more since it has paid off and been a pleasure to tow. I'd buy a tandem for this type of boat and my SUV. We normally cruise on plane at normal speeds, wakeboard some, and rarely go WOT, most time is spent at anchor. I can't recall driving a 5.0 non MPI before.

It's shrink wrapped up, I might just go and talk to a sales person about it one day and leave my # so when the lake rises again they know I'm interested. I was thinking 10K-11 would be fair... I was probably 30-35K new.

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like a fair price to me, searay's have great resale. I'm sure the dealer will accept offers. If I had that boat in my area in the spring I'd be asking 15 to 16. As you said the trailer leaves something to be desired, the boat may be freshwater but that trailer probably isn't. Anyone else raising an eyebrow at a rusty galvanized trailer after only 11 years (although I have very little experience with ocean side equipment)

With a trailer may be 8000

IMO this boat is worth much more than $8k. I would buy as many as I could find for that.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Yeah, $8K is way out of line. To realistically think anyone would sell that boat for that price, you would have to be the Mayor of Toronto.:happy:

limitout

Banned

Seems like a fair price to me, searay's have great resale. I'm sure the dealer will accept offers. If I had that boat in my area in the spring I'd be asking 15 to 16. As you said the trailer leaves something to be desired, the boat may be freshwater but that trailer probably isn't. Anyone else raising an eyebrow at a rusty galvanized trailer after only 11 years (although I have very little experience with ocean side equipment)

that's not the trailer for it, it has no trailer

if you notice its way too small for the boat its just being used as a temporary stand to put the boat on while he tries to sell it.

gtochris

that's not the trailer for it, it has no trailer

if you notice its way too small for the boat its just being used as a temporary stand to put the boat on while he tries to sell it.

This.
It's on blocks now outside the showroom shrink wrapped. With no trailer and looking as clean as it is I imagine it has been a lake only boat and possibly sold new here. I'll report back what I find if I get a chance to stop this weekend. I think it was a trade in or on consignment.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This.
It's on blocks now outside the showroom shrink wrapped. With no trailer and looking as clean as it is I imagine it has been a lake only boat and possibly sold new here. I'll report back what I find if I get a chance to stop this weekend. I think it was a trade in or on consignment.

The issue you face is that it's too late in the year to make a great deal. All the expenses for winterizing, wrapping and storage have been paid. You wouldn't pay for it outright without a sea trial (I hope!), and that'll have to wait until spring. That means no immediate cash in hand for the dealer/owner. He might as well keep the price as-is or close to it until then, when boat prices peak.

I've been shopping, too, and it appears to me that boat prices are rebounding. I'm not seeing the deals I saw when I bought my current boat in 2010. If YOU like the boat and think it's worth the price, make the best deal you can, contingent on a sea trial and survey in the spring. It's a typical arrangement for off-season sales and the dealer will be familiar with it.

Good luck!

Last edited: