Bow area question on 77 Mel-Hart Baretta

dmgongora

Recruit
Greetings,

I recently bought a 1977 Mel-Hart Products MH-170-B Baretta bass boat with a '77 Evinrude 85. It is in great shape for the year and was obviously very well taken care of. My question is on the opening on the front of the deck in the bow (see picture).
Can someone tell me what this is and what it's for?

There is a drain hole in it so water doesn't accumulate although it seems to be clogged right now. Could it be a space for an anchor?

Since I have the trolling motor , I though maybe it was a space for the foot control since the 12v socket for it is right above this space? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0022-1.jpg
    IMG_0022-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0027-1.jpg
    IMG_0027-1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Bow area question on 77 Mel-Hart Baretta

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Interesting; I've never seen a well like that. I think it would literally be a stretch (of the leg) for this to be for the foot pedal. Anchor lockers have covers (imagine the anchor bouncing around while at speed in choppy water:eek:), so I have no better ideas.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I believe I'd call it a "dry sink" or "catch all"

If it works out well to put your foot pedal in it go with that... otherwise call it whatever you want and put whatever you want in it... bag of chips while fishing ... couple of lures.... tub of night crawlers with a towel on top to keep em cool etc

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ice and a couple beers go there. Cool boat BTW! Congrats!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Stand on the bow and be able to cast and pee at the same time???