Stainless vs plastic smart tabs

63A

Cadet
I'm planning to install smart tabs on my Crownline 24' deck boat (volvo 5.7/SX drive) and debating between stainless (ST1290-80) or plastic (SX10512-90). I understand the limitations of the smart tabs vs adjustable trim tabs, but based on my boat use and the lake we frequent, the smart tabs are the better option.

Any pros/cons of stainless or plastic? I did call Nauticus and they said either would be appropriate for my application.

Thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Stainless vs plastic smart tabs

If either would work fine for you, I'd go with whichever you thinks looks better. I have the plastic tabs and I'm quite happy with them.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Just knowing the 2 materials, I would say SS would be more durable and handle a bit more than plastic, especially when plastic ages.

limitout

Banned

plastic will bend and distort over time but to what extent is hard to judge.

anything that is a permanent fixture under stress on my boat there would never be any consideration between plastic or metal, it would always be metal.

agallant80

Commander

I would go for the stainless. I can see the plastic breaking over time. If your boat is on a trailer I can't imagine the sun not doing any damage to the plastic as it sits there out in the open all day.

Bondo

Staff member

Almost $100 more for stainless ($130 composite / $225 stainless steel), which is what I have. No regrets.

Ayuh,.... While I'm not a fan of Plastics in general,.... $100. might be enough to give 'em a whirl,....

It don't matter what they're made of if ya can't get past rule #1 with trim tabs,...

It ain't a "Step", 'n hittin' things with 'em is really, Really Bad,...

Ok, that's 2 rules,...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Hard to argue against stainless, but... the plastic tabs are really very heavy with substantial reinforcements. They're really sturdy. Not sturdy enough to be a step, of course...

I don't have stainless tabs, so I can't compare, but I just wanted to represent for the plastic-tab owners!

Jim

63A

Cadet

My boat has a swim platform that should keep anyone from getting near the tabs unless they try really hard.

Probably go with stainless after looking at lots of pics of both installed. Thanks for all the replies.

My boat has a swim platform that should keep anyone from getting near the tabs unless they try really hard.

Probably go with stainless after looking at lots of pics of both installed. Thanks for all the replies.

Another benefit of the stainless is that they have a choice of actuator height installation. Standard install needs 10 1/2" from bottom of transom to top of bracket. On some boats ( mine is one) the swim platform is right where the actuator bracket needs to be :( The stainless tabs provide an alternative bracket location only 8" from the bottom. In many cases that 2 1/2" difference will allow for the tabs to be placed at their optimal location near the outside edges of the transom.

Wheelybin

Cadet

Hi, just wondering if u have fitted the nauticus trim tabs yet, and if u have how have u found them,whilst on the water(when on the plane and u are shifting around the boat, have they help stabilized the boat so that it is not listing ether to port or starboard)

Best Regards
Wheels