Anchor winch/windless for 20" walkaround?

rothfm

Ensign
I have no knowledge or experience with these devices. Hoping someone who actually does in this type boat can wiegh in.

I fish mostly Solo, saltwater in New England waters. I would like to stay off the bow most of the time when anchoring(usually choppy waters). I am interested in the ability to drop anchor from the cockpit remotely and on retrieve. I wouldnt mind a fast run and back to the bow to secure it etc... but the ability to stay safe and dry would be a huge plus for me safety-wise.

Anyone use them as such, and can make any mfg recommendations. Currently my setup is just a foward locker containing the rope and anchor/chain rode with no pulpit or hardware.

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anchor winch/windless for 20" walkaround?

The first thing you need is a bow pulpit of some type.
A lot of the guys are running the Lewmar pro sport 700 windlass

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'd like one for my 21' cuddy too but the cost installed is over 2 grand.

rothfm

Ensign

Thanks Dingbat...I have a large marine salvage yard near me and am going to go hunting. I'll be doing whatever myself so installation costs are minimul.

Will look at that model. Hope I have the room in my front locker.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Will look at that model. Hope I have the room in my front locker.

That's the key, and I'll bet you don't. For a windlass you need free-fall distance of a foot or more inside the locker so that the rode can pull itself down without backing up and jamming the fleming and gipsy. If you use chain, you need special stuff (like G4) spliced directly to the line (no shackle permitted between the line and chain).

I'd be looking at a winch, which rolls the rode onto a drum. Much cheaper, too. Minnkota, Powerwinch and Trac all make them.

My .02

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Powerwinch Sport Fish 450

I bought one of these for my 21' CC. It worked great. Remote helm control. Freefall anchor and power up on retrieval. Don't get a power down model (takes forever). Go with the free fall model. Check prices on various sites. I got mine for approx. $450.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you don't have room in your anchor locker the EZ anchor pull is a heck of a unit. Mainstay of the local guide and charter guys. I'll warn you, they are not cheap
Home ? ANCHOR PULLER

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I've been thinking of some kind of remote anchor for the front of my 22.5ft Islander which is a walk-around.
Has anyone had any good experiences with Minn Kota?

chriscraft254

Commander

If you don't have room in your anchor locker the EZ anchor pull is a heck of a unit. Mainstay of the local guide and charter guys. I'll warn you, they are not cheap
Home ? ANCHOR PULLER

^^^ Most reliable by far, but also the ugliest damn thing I have ever seen on a boat. You will need to beef up your bow if you install a bow pulpit as well.

rothfm

Ensign

Thank everyone...good input. Still learning about the options. I'm going to make it happen one way or another. I spend too much time solo and this is becoming a must.

I have seen the "drum" type winches as suggested, online (Minkota, powerwinchand Trac). Does anyone have a Trac on a 21'?

Thanks

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a couple nice pictures of the components involved in case you haven't seen a "complete" package regardless of a brand or specific model.

You not only want the remote dash control as you mentioned, you really want to get the foot pedals up by the bow for those minor adjustments you may need to do without running back to the helm and especially since you will be single handed.
I have this set up on my Sea Ray and will not have an anchor system without it regardless of boat size.

The West Advisor: Anchor Windlasses

Mark

Jeep Man

Commander

Thank everyone...good input. Still learning about the options. I'm going to make it happen one way or another. I spend too much time solo and this is becoming a must.

I have seen the "drum" type winches as suggested, online (Minkota, powerwinchand Trac). Does anyone have a Trac on a 21'?

Thanks

Just purchased a Trac with the wireless remote option for my 20' pontoon. Not installed yet so I cannot provide any opinions as to performance.