Anchor winch on an 18' bowrider

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
2003 Bayliner 185. Bought one of those Trac anchor winches. Didn't realize how large this thing would be. Very limited space at the bow. Thinking of some sort of pully system or just mount it on the stern swim platform. I know the stern is not a preferred location for an anchor, so opinions are welcomed. Boat is only used on fresh water pennsylvania lakes. Would stern mount really be an issue in relatively calm waters or am I asking for trouble?
Thanks,
Joe (former land lubber!)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anchor winch on an 18' bowrider

in the event that someone made a big wake upwind from you it COULD be a really big deal

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It seems like an anchor winch on a 18 foot boat is gross overkill. A small boat anchor is usually just set and recovered by hand.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Don't anchor by the stern. It can be hazzardous, and it's embarrassing. See if you can return the winch, and get a wench.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Your suggestions are on the money. I guess I just had to hear it from someone else. Duh!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Anchoring from the stern is not the best way to anchor. Your boat wont float well doing this , wind will blow ya back and forth. If you use the bow area, your boat should track well and take the waves and wind as designed. I have seen boats get swamped because they couldn't get the anchor pulled when big waves came through. Perch fishing in Mi. means lots of anchoring, pain in the butt but bow into the wind is the best way.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use an armstrong winch. When my kids get bigger it will be there arm strong that pulls the anchor up.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander

Too funny! wenches...kids armstrong! I guess I'll be going with the armstrong method. Wenches are way too expensive! And they stick around too long!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander

I thought it would be great to just push a button. Oh well, I can have that on my next boat!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

what you bought was an excuse to buy a bigger boat, say a 26' on which an anchor winch would make sense.

64osby

Admiral

They are also very handy for river fishing, but not really needed for small lakes on a little boat.