Alumacraft onboard 40 gallon fuel tank problem

hsadler

Recruit
While preparing my boat for the upcoming winter I was adding the marine Stabil to the tank. There was a couple of ounces in the upper portion of the Stail and when I opened the cap up to pour it in a small paper disk fell into the tank. The problem is the tank is completely full (40 gallons) and it appears there is not screen on the intake portion of the tank. I called the dealership and they said the only screen for the tank is on the output end of the tank. The paper disk is a little smaller then a dime. Do you think it will cause any problems with the operation of the engine or do I need to siphon all the fuel out and have the tank flushed to retrieve the small paper disk?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Alumacraft onboard 40 gallon fuel tank problem

That little piece of plastic covered paper floats... It won't end up in the output screen, and its going to spend the rest of its life happily floating around on top of the fuel!

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he runs low on fuel it could get sucked to the screen and cause a fuel stoppage, or lean condition. See if you can shake the tank around to get it to float to the filler and grab it with some needle nose pliers or something. Or siphon some gas out to get at it. I would not want it in my tank although you will prob never have a problem.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

It will never break down or rot away but as long as you keep 1/4 tank or more at all times it will float along the top and never be a bother.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If worst comes to worst you can always pull the sender and get it out.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If he runs low on fuel it could get sucked to the screen and cause a fuel stoppage, or lean condition. See if you can shake the tank around to get it to float to the filler and grab it with some needle nose pliers or something. Or siphon some gas out to get at it. I would not want it in my tank although you will prob never have a problem.

At that point, he is going to be sucking air anyway and more or less is seconds/minutes away from running out of fuel. Once he refills, the piece will float back up.

You would be surprised at the # of people that have done this!

Last edited:

Splat

Lieutenant

When I rebuilt my ford 8n after owning it for about 5 years, I discovered the previous owner (sometime since 1952) dropped a pair of pliers in the fuel tank. Never had a problem. I wouldn't sweat a little paper disc.

Bill.

hsadler

Recruit

;)
That little piece of plastic covered paper floats... It won't end up in the output screen, and its going to spend the rest of its life happily floating around on top of the fuel!

Thank you so much. Now I can sleep again without worrying about being ten miles down the lake.:)

hsadler

Recruit

This is great news. I really felt I was in for a major problem having to dump all the fuel and have the tank flushed. Thanks to all for the great responses.