15' 1959 Gale Seaking with Super Seahorse Johnson 35--value?

Jrrando

Cadet
I just picked this up. It looks mostly original and the trailer is good. It has the super seahorse 35 hp johnson. The engine needs the ignition looked at but I can take care of that.

What is a boat like this worth if its clean and runs well?

I picked it up for $200 so I don't think I did too bad.

Any comments or information is appreciated.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 15' 1959 Gale Seaking with Super Seahorse Johnson 35--value? interest?

If you have both trailer and boat docs you probably did OK. At $200 if you find the motor best used as an anchor you are not hurt and if the boat has hidden rot the trailer can still be sold. If the boat has no rot you did great.

Jrrando

Cadet

The boat looks really good. Where would it rot at? the floor area seems really solid but I am not sure of the construction of the floor.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Nice find there Jrrando, I love the old one's, and you did just fine at $200. Heck the trailer is worth that worse case!!
Rot usually occurs low, under the floor in the stringers, and low in the transom or where hole's have been drilled to add fish finders and such, drain hole in back is another suspect spot. Doing core samples from the inside of the boat, in several areas on the transom will give you the real story on what if anything needs attention. Same with the stringers and floor. Need more pictures of her posted here, lots of help if needed to get her sea worthy.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. $200 is a pretty good deal. As the others have said, check the deck, stringers and transom for rot. If you find any, you'll have to cut it out and repair/replace it. As for the motor, assuming the compression is ok, all the rest can be fixed pretty easily. Here's agreat link that can help.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If the boat is truly in "good" condition and water ready, I'd value it at $800, provided that all the paperwork is there for a clean transfer.

If the tires need replacing and the engine runs buit needs a tune-up, try for $600.

No paperwork - part out the trailer and motor for $200 each and cut up the boat. Ditto if the boat internals are rotten.

If it were a Chris Craft or other "collectable" boat, it'd be worth 3-4 times more. The classic / antique market has taken a big hit in recent years. Yours is not collectable, and there is little interest in small old FG boats.

Jrrando

Cadet

Got to look at the boat a little more....the rear wood floor is rotted but should be an easy fix. The fiberglass underneath looked great. The engine also looks great and has good compression. The engine lost spark and the owners buddy tried to change the coils and broke the "retainer ring" under the armature plate. Found one on ebay for $7. I have the tools and ability to fix the floor and get the engine back together.

I bought it from an older guy that had it for 30+ years and used it up until a year ago. Everything appears to be there and mostly original.

My 12 year old is having a lot of fun helping with the project. I should have a nice old boat to go out and do a little fishing and cruising around the lake.

Everyone's comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Great site......

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe the engine is worth fixing and then maybe not. Maybe the boat has safe stringers and maybe not. The trailer alone is worth the 200.Anything can be fixed and as a father/son project the value is priceless .

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 15' 1959 Gale Seaking with Super Seahorse Johnson 35--value?

Looks like you know what your doing and doesnt sound like too much work. Fix it up with your son and enjoy it!