Small hole in a 1436 jon boat transom

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a little issue i hope i can get some help on.I was checking the back of my jon boat when i noticed a small hole right at or a bit above the waterline on the transom.If i had to guess the hole will be in the water less then half the time.It's about the size of a #8 screw head,not to big.This is what i was going to do to seal it.I was going to fill the tiny hole and around it a bit with fast cure 5200 and then just put a SS number 8 or 10 screw in it like an extra rivet.A quick permanent fix i think????????Is this the right way to do it?I can't see how it will ever leak doing it that way but i would like to know if that is the right or wrong way to do it????

Now i only plan on keeping this boat for prob a few yrs at the very most,maybe less.

If someone has a better quick idea please let me know,thanks.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Small hole in a 1436 jon boat transom

I think 5200 is fine, I would think some JB weld on the outside, sand paint or just leave it as you want would work just fine. Not sure I'd put the screw in, but I don't think it would hurt anything if you did. Got a picture of this?

boater1234

I fig it this way,people drill holes in the transom of jon boats to install stuff like a depth finder,etc....They put screws in it to with 5200 so i can't see why it wouldn't work.The hole is so small it prob wouldn't show up on my camera,i will try.The screw i would think should water seal it better with the 5200,no?I never use jb weld on jon boats because no matter what they flex and the jb weld will not hold up,i went through this a few times with no luck.I also have liquid electric tape,i wonder if that would work as good as the 5200 for a sealant.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral

5200 with a screw and nut is just fine, a self tapping screw would work too, but I wouldn't want the sharp end poking out into the boat.

boater1234

No nut i'm not going all the way through,just want to seal it like a rivet.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just 5200 will do it ...... that stuff is TOUGH... get it really clean and dry.. wipe w alcohol and fill the hole w 5200... you won't need the screw

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Why not a pop rivet with some 5200? I would use 5200 or get hold of a Marine Stick epoxy. The stuff where you cut off a chunk and knead it up.

Hint - 5200 cures white and you will never notice it again.

robert graham

Admiral

Only a thousand ways to fix it!...but I'd consider a small stainless steel Phillips head machine screw with a nyloc nut on the inside...snug it down tight and you're good to go!....I use this method for loose/lost rivets on my old aluminum canoe....so far,so good!

boater1234

The hole is not that deep but i have hit the start of the transom wood.I think i will just fill it with 5200 and go or put a # 8 or 10 ss screw in the hole after i fill it with 5200 first..It won't be under water that much anyway,i can't see how it could ever leak.Will the 5200 hold by itself in the hole even if it's touching the wood.I gues i'm saying will it stick to wood as well as the aluminum in the hole.The boat is gray so the white will show up some.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

5200 will stick very well... it MAY even be tougher than the wood or the aluminum LOL... it is amazing stuff

you could possibly glue a cleat on w it and use it to lift your boat

limitout

Banned

The hole is not that deep but i have hit the start of the transom wood.I think i will just fill it with 5200 and go or put a # 8 or 10 ss screw in the hole after i fill it with 5200 first..It won't be under water that much anyway,i can't see how it could ever leak.Will the 5200 hold by itself in the hole even if it's touching the wood.I gues i'm saying will it stick to wood as well as the aluminum in the hole.The boat is gray so the white will show up some.

don't use a ss screw as it will anodize on you so if you are going to put a screw in it use an aluminum one and put some clear silicone sealant under the head to ensure a permanent seal

no real need for the screw if you fill the hole with 5200 then you can sand it smooth and paint over it if you wish

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This will work dandy fine.

don't use a ss screw as it will anodize on you so if you are going to put a screw in it use an aluminum one and put some clear silicone sealant under the head to ensure a permanent seal

Not a build I would want or allow on my boat.

Aluminum screws are too weak and silicone isn't for use below the waterline.

Go to any new aluminum boat dealer and all the screws and bolts on their boats will be stainless steel, the only aluminum fasteners used are rivets.

boater1234

Ok this is what i'm doing,#10 ss screw with the hole filled with 5200,i can't see how that will ever fall out or ever leak,i know 5200 is some strong stuff but having the screw on top of it knowing it will be penetrated into the wood and the 5200 sealing it on top of it and in the hole will just make it that much stronger i would think.

MAC ATTACK

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would fill it with Marine Tex epoxy.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'd use SIX-10 epoxy. 1 squirt and nothing is going I or out. Use is for below the water line.