Smart Tabs, Bass boat "UPDATE"

LubeDude

Admiral
Some of you may remember that when I installed the Smart Tabs on my 18' Glass Bass Tracker with a Merc 150, that I trimmed them to fit the angle of my transom because I was impatient and didnt want to waite for the right ones. Well, they still worked great, but I wasnt unable to adjust them soft enough as I set the mount a little far back.<br /><br />I have sence recieved the correct tabs and lighter actuators, I believe 40#s.<br /><br />I was very happy with the hole shot the way it was, but now the boat just rockets on plane, I dont think thee is a "Hole shot", as there is no hole to get out of. There is almost no bow rise at start. Top speed is still at 63 MPH at 5,700 RPM, I may still need to lighten them a little more, Im going out tomorrow afternoon and will lighten them and see if there is a WOT difference.

Bayrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Smart Tabs, Bass boat "UPDATE"

Hi lube. <br /> That,s a very short boat. 18" :D

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

LubeDude;<br /><br />If you can provide pictures of the installation I would appreciate it. Call me when you have the time. Thanks!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Bayrider:<br /> Hi lube. <br /> That,s a very short boat. 18" :D
Thats why its so fast. Thanks, I changed it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> LubeDude;<br /><br />If you can provide pictures of the installation I would appreciate it. Call me when you have the time. Thanks!
Were the boat is its hard to get a decent picture of the back, When I pull it out tonight, I will take pictures and post them.

LubeDude

Admiral

OK John, here are the photos you wanted.<br /><br />
33%3A%3B93%3A723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E2323572673439ot1lsi
<br /><br />
33%3A%3B93%3A723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E23235726676%3B5ot1lsi
<br /><br />
33%3A%3B94%3B523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E2323473%3A%3A7%3B74ot1lsi
<br /><br />
33%3A%3B94%3B523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E2323473%3A%3A92%3C5ot1lsi

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks nice from that angle. Show us the rest of the boat.

LubeDude

Admiral

I posted them on the above post with the others.<br /><br />I looked all last year for a Skeeter or a ranger of the same type, but Oregon not being the Bass Boat capital of the world, I settled on this Tracker in the fall, wouldnt have been my first choice, but Im beginning to like it pretty good. Ive done a ton of work on it making it look as nice as it does now. It still will need some interior work on the front cusions next year, and the trailer needs some attention, and carpet eventually, but I think I got it right so I cant complain.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Lubedude;<br /><br />The boat looks great, can I post these pics on our Website under "installation" for the Mobster Tabs. Please Call at you convenience!<br /><br />My goodness, a bass boat with trim tabs!!! What is this world coming to? I recon some day cars will have audiomaticly shifting transmissions.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

nautijohn...I do see a lot of bass boats that need tabs...running at high speeds and rolling back an forth...it would scare the he** outa me.<br />Makes you wonder if those folks know what's goin on...by the way, nice boat LD... just a Thought

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Chief;<br /><br />I was going to try and be funny here and explane why Bass Boat Manufacturers, Delears and some Owners think they do not need trim tabs. But it is not funny!<br /><br />They relate the need to only one aspect of boat handling 0 getting on plane quick (Hole Shot). Their answer is brute HP and SS Props. For Top Speed it is jackplates. <br /><br />Of course from the manufacturers point of view - their hull design is the best, latest, and greatest. It is amazing that these wonderful hulls will all perform equally as well regardless of the engine type or size. Weight balance does not seem to make any difference. <br /><br />The venturous few that have tried helm controlled trim tabs in the past found that the handling and stability improved a lot, but the down side was a loss of speed. Everyone knows that this is totaly unacceptable. I have heard rumors that some bass boat owners have sold their first born for an extra 1 mph. <br /><br />Hear is a controvertial statement, Mobster Tabs on a 19ft bass boat with a 150 HP OB will out perform the same boat with a 200 hp in all aspect of at the low and medium range and just may run very close to the same WOT. With no Chine walk!

LubeDude

Admiral

Sure John, youre welcome to use the pictures, and any testamony I may have given in the past.<br /><br />Interesting thing when I took a young man fishing the other day. He had been fishing with another fellow in his Skeeter Bass boat with a 175 HP engine, Jackplate, and running about the same speed as Mine. We took off, and got going and he imeadiatly said. "Man, this boat runs like a cadilac compaired to that other boat Ive been riding in". We talked about it for a while after we started to fish, and he said that he was initionally surprised that the bow didnt come up much at all when I took off, plus that he was actually scared riding in the other boat at times as it would role side to side at speed and just felt like it was going to go out of control sometimes. He was quite impressed with the handling of the boat as am I. He said he would tell the other guy about the tabs, and I said, "Good Luck".

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok this might be a stupid question....why is it called a bass boat?

Bayrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat looks great Lube.You must have put in a lot of hours to get it looking so good. :cool: <br /> Regards.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

It is a low profile design that makes it easier to fish in shallow freshwater primarily for bass.<br /><br />The competition type are go fast boast because the ternaments are timed, and the less time it takes to get to the "Hole" the more time for fishing. Not to mention that the first one to the hole "stakes his claim". <br /><br />That's why the by line under MoBster Tabs is "Steal The Hole", we will get you there faster.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just researching the Mobster tabs and noticed Bassin Fever (former Lube dude) was going to lighten the shocks up a little to see if it made a difference WOT. Did it ever? I am looking into them to control chine walk a little bit when I run solo but like my holeshot and speed now. I just want to know if the adjustments got you more speed or changed your WOT rpms?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Spego;<br /><br />I will let Bassin Fever answer but as I recall his original set up without the Mobster Tabs was a 23 pitch prop which gave him 58 MPH MAX. Last I heard he was running a 25 pitch and at about 63 MPH with a hole shot that was 3.5 sec. Previously the hole shot was 7.0 sec.<br /><br />The tabs will not only cut the hole shot in half but allow you to prop up for more speed at the top end.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It is a low profile design that makes it easier to fish in shallow freshwater primarily for bass.
If you take that same boat, yank the nice carpet out, take away the fancy paint, stick a small center console in (instead of the nice seats behind dual consoles), jack the price about 20% and you'll have a flats boat.

LubeDude

Admiral

All I can give right now is that everything is going to have to be recalculated this spring.<br /><br />I have changed things around so much that I have lost track of all the figures. :confused: I have different props to try, (Thanks to Walleyehed), and I am changing carbs, reeds and jetting. The performance of the boat started to suffer some towards the end of the season last year????????<br /><br />Anyway, I have the boat here at the shop right now and will change everthing all out this weekend. I also have the front cusions at the opolstery shop as we speak, and am ordering new seats eventually later on.<br /><br />I will start a whole new thread eventually.<br /><br />Also, now that Im doing all this work, Im looking for a bigger boat and I can start all over. :rolleyes: