Bass Tracker Questions

McGunner

Cadet
I have a 1989 Basstracker Pro 17 with a 40 HP Johnson outboard and just returned from 2 days of fishing. This is the first time that I have really taken it out and put it on the water and it worked great. However, I do have some questions about some of the equipment on the boat. On the dash that surrounds the steering compartment, there is a gauge that says "Hummingbird Ultra Sounder". The gauge reads from 5 to 60 in increments of 5 and is circular shaped. There is a switch that you activate that emits an audible tone when it is turned on and it says that it controls sensitivity. What is an ultra sounder and how does it work? Also, when I activated the bilge pump switch, to test it, nothing happened. When activated, does this automatically pump out excess water when necessary or is mine inoperable? Also, my boat has a live well with an aerator that is also controlled by a switch on the dash. First of all, when I put it in the water, the live well only fills up about a third of the way. Do I need to dump water in from the top using a bucket to fill it to the top overflow level? Finally, with regard to the aerator, when I turn it on (either in manual or in automatic mode), nothing happens. Is this because it isn't filled with water, or does this not work as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

68wetboat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bass Tracker Questions

All I can help with is the bilge pump.<br /><br />You're right...the bilge pump simply pumps out water that accumulates in your boat. Hopefully, if it is mounted in the boat, it is in a location where water naturally flows to (i.e. back/bottom of the boat. If it is mounted, the hose from the pump maybe coming out the side of the boat. As for my pump, it makes a humming noise when it's pumping water and a bit louder noise if there's no water to pump. If you can remove the pump, you could easily test it in a bucket of water. <br /><br />If it's mounted in the boat or you don't want to remove it, first you might want to check the wiring and battery connections. Is the pump wired to your outboard motor starter battery? I'm assuming battery is charged.<br /><br />If it's an '89, maybe some of the wires aren't conducting well anymore. A simple multi-meter has come in handy on my boat. I use the "connectivity" setting where you attach to probes to two wires or leads and the multimeter 'beeps' if there's a connection. First you could check the switch leads when the switch is ON. Just connect the probes to the switch to make sure you're getting a connection(i.e. hearing a beep).<br /><br />Sounds like you got a pretty nice boat. I just picked up a 68 ?? boat w/ a 40 hp Johnson. There's quite a few bad connections on it...some rusty switches, etc...I've had to troubleshoot and be very patient. <br /><br />I just took my boat out for the first couple times last week myself...did ya have any luck fishing...I didn't...but sure was fun cruisin' around.

McGunner

Cadet

68wetboat,<br />Thanks for the response. Yes it's mounted in the boat, in the rear, next to the drain plug. I take on very little water, but that is where it is located. The battery is charged (brand new) and all wiring is in place to the outboard motor battery source as well. I'll take your advice this weekend and check into it further. As to my luck fishing, no luck there. I took my neighbor and his son out and after 1 1/2 days, his son had caught one white bass, but nothing else. I agree, I had fun testing the boat out and I am quite pleased with it. Good luck with your boating and thanks again for the advice.

Trent

Captain

Hummingbird Ultra Sounder.... Sounds to me you have a "flasher" These were the old style depth sounders/fish finders. In other words "sonar"<br />Here is a link to one that is still being made.<br /> web page

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a voltmeter or a cheap test light check for voltage at the bilge and aerator pumps. If you have voltage and the pumps aren't turning they are either dirty or bad. The good news is neither one is very expensive. If you are not getting any voltage you'll need to trace your wires and check for blown fuses, bad wires, or bad switches. If you can remove the pumps you can connect the leads directly to a known good battery to check for operation. Brown wire is pos. Black is ground.<br /><br />As far as operating your livewell I'm assuming you have a thru-hull aerator pump. The bottom drain on your livewell is connected to a thru-hull drain below the waterline. This allows some water to enter while sitting still. You need to plug this drain either on the inside or outside to allow it to fill with the pump. The plug will also prevent automatic filling if you want to use the livewell for dry storage. To fill the livewell turn on the aerator pump. This should fill the tank with fresh water through a spray bar. As the livewell fills there should be an overflow drain up near the top to prevent overfilling. Running the aerator pump will continuously add fresh water with excess water flowing out the overflow.<br /><br />Some livewells may also have another aerator pump which recirculates the water without exchanging it. If yours is set up this way without a thru-hull pump you may need to manually fill it with a bucket.<br /><br />If your BassTracker is anything similar to my old one you need to insulate the bottom of the livewell lid with some styrofoam board. The aluminum lid covered with gray carpet can make fish soup pretty quickly in the summer.

McGunner

Cadet

Ken G,<br />Thanks for the reply. I got started late in the day today in going thru my boat. I have everything working on it now, except for the aerator. I got the bilge pump working, speedometer repaired, trolling motor running (it had quit on me as well, just a short it turns out)I will take your advice and see what I can come up with as far as getting that aerator working.

LubeDude

Admiral

Nothing like buying a used boat, especially a Bass Boat, I have been going through what you are with my Glass Bass Tracker, 1800 SF, W/ Merc 150, I seems everyone has there own Ideas as to how a boat should be wired, and they make changes at random, I have yet to figure why my timers do not work on the livewells.<br /><br />Thanks KenG for the advice on the livewell lid, mine is aluminum also, and I can see your point.