Key West vs. Sea Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer17

Recruit
Hello fellow boaters.

I am considering purchasing a used boat, years 2005-2011. My final 2 choices are a Key West 186 DC, or a Sea Hunt Escape 186. Both are dual console, would be comparably powered (eg Yamaha 115 or 150 4-stroke outboard), and be in excellent low hour condition. I would be using the boat for family cruising, skiing/tubing, and fishing. It would be kept in a slip in salt water (Long Island Sound, Ct).

I would appreciate your views on which to go with, all things being equal. Current/former owners of either please chime in. Thanks for any input!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Key West vs. Sea Hunt

Choose whichever boat that is in the best condition will be the repeated advice here, particularly given the boats and powertrains are so similar.

All else equal, the KW was a bit pricier and perhaps higher fit and finish when new, though there are many SH fans out there. You should sea trial both rigs, it feels like a 150 could either make these boats stern heavy or perhaps benefit from trim tabs.

dreamer17

Recruit

Choose whichever boat that is in the best condition will be the repeated advice here, particularly given the boats and powertrains are so similar.

All else equal, the KW was a bit pricier and perhaps higher fit and finish when new, though there are many SH fans out there. You should sea trial both rigs, it feels like a 150 could either make these boats stern heavy or perhaps benefit from trim tabs.

Thanks for your reply moosehead - most of the one's I've seen have the 115, although there are those that recommend the 150 for extra sports-related power. Your input is appreciated!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I would go with the key west for no other reason than it has 19 degree deadrise as opposed to a 16 on the Seahunt

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have one of each, but the KW is 15 years older. On my limited perspective I'd say the SH is only slightly better quality, but hard to say. Forget brand and look at other factors.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been on a sea hunt, and all I noticed is how beautiful it handles. Hitting wakes is just like a hot knife through butter. It was the 29 footer, and we went on a 18 hour offshore trip in it. It's a great sea boat. We were the smallest of 200 boats out there. Key Wests look VERY nice, but that's just looking at them. The 29 has twin 300 yamahas, and she can hit 63 knots. :lol: So it works as a go-fast boat too... It's a 2012 and had a grounding problem, which caused him (our neighbor) to lose every electronic in the stern. Bilge pump, livewell, raw water, everyhting. He was 120 miles away from home too and 80 miles out in 4 footers... This was a month over a year old, but the sea hunt tech came and fixed it in a week though.All is good now. That's not our boat by the way, we could never afford that:joyous:

dreamer17

Recruit

QUOTE=dingbat;4403742]I would go with the key west for no other reason than it has 19 degree deadrise as opposed to a 16 on the Seahunt[/QUOTE]

Thanks Admiral - good point, and I will consider this when choosing.

dreamer17

Recruit

I have one of each, but the KW is 15 years older. On my limited perspective I'd say the SH is only slightly better quality, but hard to say. Forget brand and look at other factors.

Appreciate the reply Home Cookin'!

dreamer17

Recruit

I've been on a sea hunt, and all I noticed is how beautiful it handles. Hitting wakes is just like a hot knife through butter. It was the 29 footer, and we went on a 18 hour offshore trip in it. It's a great sea boat. We were the smallest of 200 boats out there. Key Wests look VERY nice, but that's just looking at them. The 29 has twin 300 yamahas, and she can hit 63 knots. :lol: So it works as a go-fast boat too... It's a 2012 and had a grounding problem, which caused him (our neighbor) to lose every electronic in the stern. Bilge pump, livewell, raw water, everyhting. He was 120 miles away from home too and 80 miles out in 4 footers... This was a month over a year old, but the sea hunt tech came and fixed it in a week though.All is good now. That's not our boat by the way, we could never afford that:joyous:

Thanks for the response cpenrose. My neighbor has a 20' Sea Hunt Dual Console, which I have been on and always admired. You're correct in that it cuts through the waves well. I also just met another boater with the 18.6' Key West DC, but have yet to take a ride - it's on my list of things to do. For some reason, I consider the Sea Hunt more robust and able to take punishment, perhaps this is just my misconception. More to come after I sea trial the Key West.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old topic and OP hasn't been here in months and months. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.