where to install a ski ring/pole or whatever...

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking for some good suggestions for where and how to install a ski rope holding device on my 19ft. sportfish/cc whatever you want to call it. The kids have convinced me it's important :rolleyes: ;) <br /><br />So it has a fairly large outboard in the way, and we use a gunwale ladder to get in/out because there isn't really any space on the back for a platform (which I guess isn't really a problem in itself, then, but there isn't space for anything else either ;) . I'm just not sure how best to do it, if even there is a really good way. We went tubing once and I just tied the line to the port cleat, but was not happy with that as it steered funny, and started to rub the paint off. <br /><br />Pictures are here, if anyone's interested or able to help. Thanks y'all.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: where to install a ski ring/pole or whatever...

Awesome boat, dude! did you do the restoration yourself?<br /><br />This looks like what you're looking for:<br /><br /> Ski tow pylon

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ol'Norse: With an outboard, especially as big as yours, you are best to use a bridle. A bridle connects to two eyelets or U's installed through the transom on either side of the motor, about 6 to 8 inches in from either side of the boat. Looks like you'll have to install two, but from the pic, it looks like there were some already, now plugged (two on either side of the engine). Most boats have two eyelets or U's on the transom. If those two shiny things on either side of the engine are carriage bolt heads and go through the transom, get the right size U and install. Note that there are proper items for this application ($10 each in stainless steel). You'll need the type that has a "stop" just above the threads so that when tightening from the inside, the U snugs against the transom on the outside. The wrong application is the simple U that looks like a muffler clamp.<br /><br />The bridle is about 7 feet long and simply hooks to each eyelet and has a loop or connect in the middle to attach the tow rope. The bridle keeps the tow rope away from the motor, and some have floats to assist in keeping the hardware from tangling in the prop. For about $35 total, and a lot less work than installing a pylon, you'll be ready for watersport quickly.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

jtex: I wish I could say yes, but the majority was done by the previous owner (he was the third owner, I'm the fourth for this boat). he was in the stainless steel fastener biz and loaded the boat up with all the little things. It was painted two years ago and the wood has obviously been redone, inside and out. The motor is the orig 1978 Johnson 150v6.<br /><br />MrBill: THANKS! That is precisely the kind of answer I hoped to get. The pylon idea was expensive and (even more importantly, didn't leave me enough room to fish comfortably ;) ). I've never seen a set up like you describe on a boat, but that makes perfect sense. Not to mention, I had wondered what had been mounted where those bolts are. Thanks very much again.

mkuehnl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

great! thanks mkuehnl.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Ol' Norse<br />I've got something very similar to jtexas' suggestion, on my 18' Starcraft. The bottom of the post mounts to a plate you install on the floor, and the 2 'legs' attach to posts you install at the transom corners of the gunwale.<br /><br />On my boat, that meant the plate was a good 12" from the back of the floor, and since the post attaches to a raised journal on the plate, I reconfigured the 'legs' so they're a little shorter, and I was able to mount the plate out of the way.<br /><br />The setup comes with quick-connectors, and folds-up small (about the size of an oar), so it lays nicely out of the way when not in use. It also makes a nice post to keep my cover 'tented'.<br /><br />The higher you can get the rope the better, especially for tubing and wakeboarding.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had heard that about rope height, but I just don't think the post will work. There isn't a way for me to get the legs to where the transom and gunwales meet because of the cutaway motor mount. I keep my trolling motor batteries and extra fuel (2x6 gal.) containers tucked away inside those spaces anyway and I just wouldn't have room to put them elsewhere without going into the cabin. <br /><br />For the price, I think it is worth a shot to go with the low rope/bridle approach and see if it will work. Thanks for your input.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Ol' Norse<br /> My boat has a very similar set-up, and since the post is tall (probably 18" above the motor), the legs don't interfere with anything - in your case, you'd have to tuck away the fishing poles!<br /><br /> The rope/bridle is a good start, and I've seen them for much less than $30 (just be sure to get a good one). The post is a much better option, but something is better than nothing!

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

As high as your u-bolts will be on your transom, the bridle will work out fine. Make sure you get one with floats attached to keep it out of the prop when getting set up.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Is this the place where I could attach my ski/tube rope?<br />
GlastronRestored12.jpg
<br /><br />Notice the two silver-looking U-bolts that go through the transom on both sides of the motor.<br /><br />Sorry for the low light.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes, that's where the bridle hooks up and you attach your rope to the bridle.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi guys,<br />A common trick used here when you use a bridle is to place the float on the ski rope at the forward end and use a braided bridle with a pulley on the bridle that allows the tow rope to move from side to side and equalise the pull on the eyebolts at the transom. The bridle needs to be long enough to allow you to lift the towrope over the engine and into the boat when retrieving. So long as you are moving forward when you are paying out the ski rope and the bridle is in the water it all follows behind quite happily without getting hung up around the lower end of the motor.<br /><br />Have fun,<br /><br />Peter

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Ol' Norse:<br /><br />My boat was ordered with the pylong like arrangement but lacks the latteral supports. Rather, it bolts into the floor. <br /><br />Although it works well, removes in seconds, we don't tow a whole lot so if it had not been included in the price I would not have ordered.<br /><br />I would have gone with the rope and float.<br /><br />By the way, great looking boat!!!!! I have alway been fond of boats of your type. I have wanted something like yours or a Starcraft Islander but cannot justify it as my boat is moored at cottage and is only a bowrider. I would have no need for the cuddy. <br /><br />But then when is boating about need......<br /><br />GREAT BOAT!!!!