Steam clean mildew off vinyl?

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boat I bought had some mildew on the seats and I have tried a few things that has partially worked. Before I get aggressive with magic erasers and bleach products, will a steam cleaner do anything? You know those ones with a nozzle? We used to have one and it cleaned up grout in the bathroom really nice - thinking it may work on the seats and avoid using bleach.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steam clean mildew off vinyl?

Check with a vinyl repair shop as I think the steam may be just as bad or worse on stitching than bleach quickly rinsed.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've found that mildew on vinyl is pretty much like the tattoo your 13 year old daughter got... the main difference is, you can actually get a tattoo off with a laser. But I've never found ANY thing that will satisfactorily remove mildew. Cleansers, bathroom cleaners, bleach, laundry soap, oven cleaner, alcohol and several other definitely-not-recommended chemicals, and even magic erasers haven't worked for me. BTW, a magic eraser is basically superfine sandpaper disguised as a sponge, always use caution with those things!

Your best bet would be to find some matching vinyl paint and be done with it---

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That and the fact that the mold is in the vinyl not on the surface so if you dont kill it out it just grows back.

lfunk11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its confusing - some people say they get the mildew off and others say they can't. I got a decent amount off, but I think I will try the magic eraser in a small area to see how it comes out.

robert graham

Admiral

I've used a mild bleach solution and a soft bristle brush, working it into the stain carefully and rinsing with fresh water....

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Upholstery guy here......

NO STEAM! The reason the mold is there is because the protective outer layer of the vinyl has worn/been scrubbed off. Water has intruded into the vinyl backing and that's why the mold is coming thru. By introducing steam (especially at pressure), all you're doing is adding more water thru the vinyl and into the foam. Even if the heat kills the current mold spores, as soon as the water cools, the mold will be back with a vengeance.

NO MAGIC ERASER! That is an abrasive and will initially remove the stains, but will return worse than before. Kill the mold with a mild bleach solution (no more than 1/2 cup in a gallon of soap & water). Wash the seat thoroughly with the solution and allow to dry completely in the sun. You may wind up with light gray spots which is damage from the mold, but at least you'll stop the growth. Treat with vinyl protectant after dry.

Last edited:

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on the above
the only thing that I would add is just leave the seats in the sun as much as possible
keep them clean and dry before you put the boat away

Harry

limitout

Banned

use warm soapy water with 50/50 bleach and wash with a rag or soft brush then rinse and keep it dry after that even if you have to get creative.

repeat this about once every other month and it will stay looking nice.

the posts about the mildew being in the material is correct but you want a solution not to be told to buy new seats and build a garage for it so the bottom line is clean it and keep it clean and you wont notice it anymore.

vinyl will develope fine cracks letting moisture into the backing material even if not abused so its not like the average boater is ever going to stop it from happening unless its garage kept and the vinyl is conditioned regularly

a soft tooth brush is best for getting the stitching, seams, and creases clean

Last edited:

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Formula 409 has worked for me in the past on some really nasty stuff when nothing else would.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

its confusing - some people say they get the mildew off and others say they can't. I got a decent amount off, but I think I will try the magic eraser in a small area to see how it comes out.

If the Magic Eraser doesnt do it, I've mixed up a small amount of Bleach in a spray bottle and it always works for me!

I sometimes get mold where the canvas meets the cushions, I'm sure the dampness and condensation between the layers is to blame (I only put the cover on when everything is completely dry).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

EDIT: to add to my earlier post, the problem is compounded when the seat vinyl isn't marine grade vinyl. You can tell what isn't marine grade by the fuzzy (usually white) backing. Marine vinyl is a flat firm woven backing.