1986 Bayliner Bowrider 2150 w/AQ225E and AQ275 Capacity Plate

ETCM

Recruit
I am new at this forum thing and new at boating. I just bought my first boat earlier this year and discovered that it does not have a capacity plate on it; according to Tennessee law, one is required. I contacted Bayliner and have received part of the information to put on a capacity plate but they will not provide one nor do they sell them. I found the other information through different manuals. I located an online business that makes them but I am not sure which one I need. Do any of you have a photo of a capacity plate that matches my boat or can you provide one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ETCM

ETCM

Recruit
Re: 1986 Bayliner Bowrider 2150 w/AQ225E and AQ275 Capacity Plate

Hi, and welcome :)

If your boat is more than 20' in length (I assume the 2150 designation indicates it is?) then under federal law, it does not require a capacity plate.

BoaterExam.com | Tennessee Chapter 1 - Boat Capacities

Appreciate the Welcome and information.

You are correct, the 2150 is the designation for a 21 footer. I visited the website you provided and found where it stated, "Federal law mandates that power boats of less than 20 feet in length must have a capacity plate...." Greatly appreciate that reference. I based my original statement, concerning Tennessee law, on "The Handbook of Tennessee Boating Laws and Responsibilities," which states that a capacity plate is required for any water vessel less than 26' unless it is propelled only by paddles or oars.

https://www.boat-ed.com/tennessee/handbook/page/56/Tennessees-Required-Equipment-Checklist

Looks like there is conflicting information out there concerning Tennessee's capacity plate requirement. I guess my next step is to contact the "Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency" to get the real scoop.

Thanks again,
ETCM

southkogs

Staff member

I based my original statement, concerning Tennessee law, on "The Handbook of Tennessee Boating Laws and Responsibilities," which states that a capacity plate is required for any water vessel less than 26' unless it is propelled only by paddles or oars...
I think you might be confusing the "certificate of number" here in TN. That's not your capacity plate, it's the wallet size certificate they send you with your registration sticker. In TN you have your registration numbers (block letters on the boat's hull), validation sticker (annual colored sticker on the hull with your numbers) and your certificate of number in your wallet. All three have to be available to the TWRA to confirm registration.

I don't think a capacity plate is required by TN law.

BUT ... you can have a replacement plate made. Do a Google search for replacement capacity plate and you'll find plenty of options.

ETCM

Recruit

I think you might be confusing the "certificate of number" here in TN. That's not your capacity plate, it's the wallet size certificate they send you with your registration sticker. In TN you have your registration numbers (block letters on the boat's hull), validation sticker (annual colored sticker on the hull with your numbers) and your certificate of number in your wallet. All three have to be available to the TWRA to confirm registration.

I don't think a capacity plate is required by TN law.

BUT ... you can have a replacement plate made. Do a Google search for replacement capacity plate and you'll find plenty of options.

You are correct, that was exactly what I was doing. I thought the "certificate of number on board" listed in the "Tennessee's Required Equipment Checklist" was the capacity plate. I found the "certificate of number" in the registration paperwork of where I registered the boat for the first time. Greatly appreciate the clarification. I still haven't put the registration numbers or the validation stickers on the boat and never really paid attention to the registration information. Can't wait to retire next year and get to Tennessee to put my boat back on the water with the grandchildren. Appreciate all the assistance and information from everyone. This is an awesome forum.

Can't wait to retire next year and get to Tennessee to put my boat back on the water with the grandchildren. Appreciate all the assistance and information from everyone. This is an awesome forum.

Retirement + boat + grandchildren = priceless

and I'm speaking from experience :):):):)

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

...Can't wait to retire next year and get to Tennessee to put my boat back on the water with the grandchildren...
Where are ya' coming from and what part of TN are ya' headed to? The waterways in this state will surprise you, as I'm assuming you've seen already. Beautiful.

ETCM

Recruit

Where are ya' coming from and what part of TN are ya' headed to? The waterways in this state will surprise you, as I'm assuming you've seen already. Beautiful.

I'll be coming from Virginia Beach, VA and going to Saltillo, TN; it's about 20-25 minutes outside of Savannah, TN. I was on the TN River (about 4 miles from the house) this past summer; it was beautiful and enjoyable. I can't wait to get there.

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^^ Excellent! We vacation every few years in Williamsburg, and regularly take a day trip down toward Virginia Beach. We love the area over that way.

You'll love Tennessee, for more reasons than just the land and waters. I don't get over Savannah's way very much, so can't tell you too much about it (think I've only seen it from about 1,500 feet :) ). I've not been able to boat on the Tennessee at all, but I hear that people love it. I'd like to get down and run on it in the Chattanooga area sometime.