'94 Sea Ray 220 Signature Select I/O Engine Hatch Strut

Trips

Cadet
Hi, I am having trouble finding a replacement strut for the engine hatch cover. There are a few of them, but specifically I need the large/long one. Any advice?

Thanks

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '94 Sea Ray 220 Signature Select I/O Engine Hatch Strut

A non-OEM replacement gas strut is more than satisfactory, the primary need is coming close the to same eye to eye measurement of your existing shock, and replicating the force in lbs. of the shock pressure. You can source these in many auto parts stores, and even e b a y has a few replacement gas strut vendors that are very good.

agallant80

Commander

Measure what it is closed and what it is extended and go to the auto parts store. They will have something that will fit.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Yep, a strut's a strut. Measure twice, buy once. Problem solved.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, I am having trouble finding a replacement strut for the engine hatch cover. There are a few of them, but specifically I need the large/long one. Any advice?

Thanks

McMaster Carr, one of the better sources for things like this.
McMaster-Carr

Trips

Cadet

Thanks for the input, but this part is an electric strut. They look to be pretty pricey and I'd love to go aftermarket if I can find one that is an exact fit.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Trips, you can also replace a switched electrical strut with a gas powered unit. You'll obviously lose the auto button lift fuction, but a manual lift of a heavy engine bay lid with properly loaded gas shocks is not atypical nor difficult. A potential benefit is you can get to the engine bay if power is lost for some reason.

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

X 2 especially if power is lost and battery access through engine compartment.
Trips, you can also replace a switched electrical strut with a gas powered unit. You'll obviously lose the auto button lift fuction, but a manual lift of a heavy engine bay lid with properly loaded gas shocks is not atypical nor difficult. A potential benefit is you can get to the engine bay if power is lost for some reason.

Trips

Cadet

Moosehead and Crabby Cpt. Excellent points and will probably go that route.