Adding a waste holding tank in a 1983 26' searay

Saltydogslife

Recruit
I am currently remodeling a 1983 26' searay and this weekend I am pulling the motor and while I have it out I believe it would be much easier to continue with another project. I plan on changing the original bathroom system to a vacu- flush system, requires a holding tank. It appears to me that installing a holding tank on the starboard side next to the fuel tank would be a logical location. Does anybody know if this would make the boat lean one way or the other? Currently the fresh water is stored on the port side next to the fuel tank, measurIng 30x10.5x18" h. I plan on using the same size waste tank. am wondering if anybody has done such an addition before?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Adding a waste holding tank in a 1983 26' searay

I am currently remodeling a 1983 26' searay and this weekend I am pulling the motor and while I have it out I believe it would be much easier to continue with another project. I plan on changing the original bathroom system to a vacu- flush system, requires a holding tank. It appears to me that installing a holding tank on the starboard side next to the fuel tank would be a logical location. Does anybody know if this would make the boat lean one way or the other? Currently the fresh water is stored on the port side next to the fuel tank, measurIng 30x10.5x18" h. I plan on using the same size waste tank. am wondering if anybody has done such an addition before?

:welcome: to iboats

For the most part this is the way my 27 cruiser is setup, water on port, holding tank on starboard. My cruiser weights 9500 pounds and I'm thinking your around the 5 to 6000 pound range. The lighter the boat to more weight changes effect the trim. Your probably going to get a shift but it should be do-able. While sitting it could be the most list (lean). Trim tabs would fix all issues when on plane.

Thalasso

Commander

You are looking at some big expense. Where do you plan on putting the vacuum generator and the macerator. You will need them also. Along with lines for pump out.
After it's all said and done my guess is you won't have enough power to get on plane.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think a vaccuflush might cost a good chunk of what the boat is worth... I would strongly consider a standard marine toilet... still need a tank tho... as for will it lean, try it out... put 3 filled 5 gallon buckets on that side of the deck and you'll get a real good idea of what 15 gallons of poo will do

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'd also agree that the cost of a Vacuflush system is hard to justify on a boat that old, but it's your boat. My boat's holding tank is also on the starboard side (25 gallons) and it does make the boat list. Underway, the trim tabs take care of things. If you don't have tabs, the weight will affect the running attitude of the boat. Like smoke said, simulate it with some filled containers before you lock yourself in.

If you decide on a manual system instead, look at a Raritan PHII instead of the Jabsco that all the manufacturers use (including mine). The Raritan costs more, but it's a much better unit.

Good luck!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

What about and electric head? You will need to add all the pump out lines, vent for the tank etc, but having a true holding tank extends your cruising ability.

shrew

Lieutenant

I'd place it wherever you have the most room. I have a Maxum which is also built by Brunswick (as is Searay). they placed both the holding and water on the same side and balanced the weight off with the hot water tank and batteries, and the galley (and fridge) are on the opposite side as well.

You typically strive to keep the water tank full and the holding tank empty. As you empty one, you invariably fill the other. it is rare that both are full at the same time.

agallant80

Commander

I know someone who has a newer boat (2006) with a Vacuflush, they tell me that they miss their old school pump head.

alldodge

Staff member

My Vacuflush has been trouble fee, never a problem so far (knock on wood) and the boat is a 94. No need for a mercerator being on inline lakes.