weight limit on fishing seat?

PNKFLOYD

Recruit
This forum has answered most of my questions about the 2004 bowrider Starcraft CStar 1700 Fish/Ski, 4.3 Mercrusier I purchased a couple months ago.

The front fishing chair is placed securely in the bow.
The rear seat mounts to a socket in the middle of the engine cover.
I gingerly tested my petite 260 pounds on the cover by first sitting and later standing on the cover. No flexing or movement of the cover.
Any thoughts on the cantilever forces of a 30 pound seat on top of a 27" pedistal, firmly anchored with a 260 pound body?
Must I be careful to catch less than a 10 pound bass?:confused:

I'll be fishing mostly with my 12 YRO, 10 YRO and 8 YRO grandsons, so I could put one of them in that seat.
Thanks,
Mike

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: weight limit on fishing seat?

You have a pedestal seat on top of the doghouse? If so that's just asking for trouble, a long ways to fall when someone looses their balance and that's when, not if. I'm not so sure that a doghouse (engine cover) is designed for that much weight.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The majority of the better seats, plus many OEMs are made by Wise. They are rated for 250 pounds. The do sell one model listed as "HD" or "large cap" or something like that, and its rated for 260 I believe. Look up the Wise specs on their site.

PNKFLOYD

Recruit

The driver and passenger bucket seats are placed on pedistals for use as fishing seats.
IF... I decide to use the rear seat, I may just buy a lightweight plastic seat to put on the rear pedistal for the kids to use.
I think we will remain on the boat floor to fish off the side or back of the boat.

More fishing than swimming that way!

Thanks for your opinions.
Mike