Where is my underfloor fuel tank inlet value?!?

Image2x

Recruit
I have a 1991 Crestliner Viking 170. I can no longer pump fuel from the underfloor permanent fuel tank (I've tried multiple bulbs) which leads me to believe either the underfloor fuel line is fouled, the anti-siphon value is bad, or the fuel pickup tube is plugged.

But in order to check out any of the above, I need to access the fuel tank inlet value. Even with the aid of a fiber optic inspection camera and removing all of the seat bases, I still cannot find the under floor location of the damn value.

If I knew where the value was, I figure I could cut an access port to troubleshoot. Alternatively, it looks like I could remove the floor but that looks like a real PITA which would also necessitate removing the console. I'd be happy to hear informed opinions on which is the better route.

Attached are bow and aft photos of the floor. If it helps, the tank is 22 gallons with a 4" depth at the fuel sender (I've searched in vain online to find a similar shaped tank to provide a clue but this shape seems to no longer be manufactured). The fueling port is on the port gunnel (visible in the bow photo).

image-1.jpgimage.jpg

Many thanks!
-- John

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where is my underfloor fuel tank inlet value?!?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Just a guess,near the stern of the tank? Follow that vent line mabe its by that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

fuel tank inlet is 1.5" in dia. It is likely not clogged. Vent may be clogged. Pickup may be clogged as well. Trace fuel line from engine to tank. it should give clue. Antisiphon valve will prevent you from clearing it by blowing into the fuel pickup. Loosen tank cap. If you can pump fuel with primer, vent is likely the villian.

foodfisher

Captain

Try a studsensor, port to stbd for the stringers, fore to aft for the bulkheads. At least that will outline the tank location.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1991 Crestliner Viking 170. I can no longer pump fuel from the underfloor permanent fuel tank (I've tried multiple bulbs) which leads me to believe either the underfloor fuel line is fouled, the anti-siphon value is bad, or the fuel pickup tube is plugged.

But in order to check out any of the above, I need to access the fuel tank inlet value. Even with the aid of a fiber optic inspection camera and removing all of the seat bases, I still cannot find the under floor location of the damn value.

If I knew where the value was, I figure I could cut an access port to troubleshoot. Alternatively, it looks like I could remove the floor but that looks like a real PITA which would also necessitate removing the console. I'd be happy to hear informed opinions on which is the better route.

Attached are bow and aft photos of the floor. If it helps, the tank is 22 gallons with a 4" depth at the fuel sender (I've searched in vain online to find a similar shaped tank to provide a clue but this shape seems to no longer be manufactured). The fueling port is on the port gunnel (visible in the bow photo).

View attachment 213284View attachment 213285

Many thanks!
-- John

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya mean Valve,..?? 'n wouldn't it be the Outlet fittin',..??

It should be visible through the gauge sender hole in yer deck, probably towards the aft end of the tank,....