Trailer Hardware For Cover Straps

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've only had a snap on cover for my boat (sig line). Just ordered a custom cover with straps and realized I need hardware to screw into the fender steps for some of the straps. I've been looking for something specifically designed for this but am coming up empty. What does everyone else use? Just basic u-bolts? How do you prevent rust and corrosion in the holes you have to make in the fenders?

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Hardware For Cover Straps

My straps have delrin buckles rather than what you seem to have. All I do is pull the strap down and around the trailer frame and then back up to where the other half of the delrin buckle is. It works great... the cover is trailerable at highway speeds.

004 (Resized).jpg If you look at this, the strap is sewn all the way across the cover and it terminates in the same way on the far side. The little bow you see at the bottom is how I cope with excess strap so it doesn't just flap in the breeze. You can just make out the buckle at the top right hand side of the triangle formed by the strap going around my step.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks jayhanig, most of my straps go around the trailer framing as well. But it is a tandem axle trailer and there are 4 straps located above the fenders that have nowhere to wrap around. On other setups I've seen like this, there is a piece of hardware screwed down to the fender surface that gives a place for the strap to wrap around. Almost like a u-bolt but flat instead of curved.

haulnazz15

Captain

Are you sure you cant just attach to the frame rails behind the fender? I understand what you are looking for, but I rarely see that on most trailers. I suppose a simply bolt-on D-ring would suffice. It wouldn't need to be too beefy, either, as there wouldn't be a whole lot of stress on it.

Perhaps something like this: Light Duty Trailer Tie-Down, 1k Brophy Trailer Cargo Control SR10-C

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ill get under there and do a little more investigating. I didn't see anything because there is a weird carpeted wood panel that covers the rear of the fenders and attaches to the frame. You can kind of see it in the attached picture.

Thanks for the tie-down link, that's the kind of thing I'd like to use if necessary. I like how it lays down out of the way too. Maybe a local shop carries something like that too. Checked the local home depot but didn't find much.

20130627_171715(0).jpg

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a local upholstery shop modify my cover for my wakeboard tower legs. While there he included some of his own hardware for the rear straps (see the middle of the fender). He also added some vents on top to help suck it down while towing.

20131004_095820.jpg

The only problem is when unhooking those rear straps, the plastic clip has to be slid off the strap because it will not pass through the hardware. I'm thinking of just adding a small metal clip to clip the strap to the hardware instead of wrapping the strap around it which should save some time covering/uncovering the boat. All in all I'm happy with it and hope it will help preserve the vinyl and floor inside.

fishrdan

Admiral

Is the strap long enough to go around the crossmember right next to the axle? I have a couple spots on my cover where I go inside the frame, to catch a crossmember...

These clips would slip on the strap, then hook to the fender.

sbp2-20_4_1_17.jpg

I bought a bunch of strap and buckles from that place to re-strap my cover, sewed on more straps, where I wanted them....

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you look up "eye straps" on Google you will find the flat type you are looking for.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ahhh eye straps, that's what they're called. Thanks, it's hard googling something you don't know the name of.

And thanks fishrdan, those are exactly what I was looking for. I'll check locally first, then use that website if I need.

Maclin

Admiral

Looks great man, very nice towable setup!