Johnson 7.5 plane with one person sluggish with two, will prop change help???

Hi I have a Johnson 7.5 on a 10.5ft condor craft it goes well with me and my 5 year old on it plane at 1/2-1/4 throttle, but if I take a mate fishing it slow as 5knots max he not the smallest guy,, would change prop help or simply more hp needed :confused:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Johnson 7.5 plane with one person sluggish with two, will prop change help???

More horsepower. 7.5 hp is not all that much when it comes to pushing 2 people around.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 7.5 plane with one person sluggish with two, will prop change help???

What is a condor craft? Weight, Inflatable?What year motor?Picture of boat?
Part of your problem is the size of the boat.Its very possible that you might plane with a bare bones full size 12 or 14 ft boat.
A prop change could help but we need to know what size is now.May appear near the base of the blades
or on one end of the hub.

Last edited:

cheer for advice . I have bought a old 25hp Johnson hopefully not to big for my lil fiberglass nz built condorcraft
:)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

25hp on a 10ft. Might be tiny bit big. Are there any laws regarding too much motor on a boat in New Zealand? I know in Canada, if you can put it on the transom you can run it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think you would be better off with a big bare bones 12 or 14 footer. and the 7.5.
A 7.5 will make about 17/18 mph lightly loaded. certainly would plane with 2 aboard.
Your little 10 footer is probably rated for about 400 lbs and that would include the motor and gear.
The twenty five will solve the planing issue but still not working with enough planing surface.
It probably will become airborne with a light load. lol
At 100 lbs your 25 is about twice as heavy as your 7.5
I've told this a 100 times:: we had a 15 ft al. utility with a 25 gale it struggled with 4 adults and light gear.
we bought a 18 ft Crestliner bare utility, needing more room. I figures it would need a bigger motor at some point.
But the bigger boat planed easily with 6 adults and light gear.
Your little 10 footer could actually be rated for as little as 300 lbs and 3 hp.

Last edited:

THANKS, took your advice got a 12ft manta now, 25hp was insane on 10ft hat to make a hydrofoil to drop nose was hard on transom too ..:eek:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Are you running it with the 25?Is it a big 12 footer? Some are gunnel length others are actually 12 foot or more.
Had a friend with a small 14 ft it looked like a 12 footer even on the trailer.

sporty 12fter rated to take up to a 75hp they use to race em in 80s &90s . its v bottom and twice as wide as my lil 10ft flat bottom
with 25 hp cruse at 20 knots about 40kph