Regal FasDeck 24

Morgueman

Seaman
Hi Folks!

I will be buying my first boat, and like so many others, we want it to do too much -- cabin for sleeping, open bow for more room, sea worthiness, and of course, trailerable (I have a Lincoln Navigator). After thinking through the responses I received about towing the only cuddy/express cruiser we like (Regal 2565), I'm now leaning toward an open bow; however, I'm still hanging on to my other desires.

I'm considering a Regal 24 FasDeck, which supposedly has a great hull with deep freeboard:
1. Is this seaworthy for getting to Catalina? The salesman tells me that any FasDeck 23' or longer is ok for getting to Catalina, but I'm dubious.
2. If a full enclosure is even available, would I get really weird looks from others if my wife and I slept on the boat?
3. Is now a good time for negotiating good deals at used (maybe new) dealerships?
4. Are there any large volume new boat dealers that sell at large discounts such that the cost for shipment would be worthwhile?

Thank you...All comments are greatly appreciated.

Eric (Morgueman)

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Regal FasDeck 24

Since fishing is not a priority that helps. Any decent length trip over water that can get rough is no place for a bow rider IMO. Looks like you will need to have a full enclosure and bow cover custom made. Doubt you would get weird looks sleeping on the boat-- but where could 2 people sleep on that hull? The 24'3" includes the "extended swim platform" leaving less room in the sole than you may think. An engine cover will take up more space. I've always found the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas my best time to buy. Discounters?? Costco sells a brand or two but what do you do for service or warranty work? You will not be a priority at another dealership for either if purchased there. BTW, that model has only a 53 gallon fuel tank... not much for a long round trip in rough water. With your requirements I'd not consider that boat. Long ago-- late 80s-- I had a Sylvan 22' fisherman that was more suited than than this Regal to your requirements. Better designs are out there.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1) You can take just about any boat to Catalina, but I wouldn't call them "seaworthy". I've been in 21' bowriders (and my bowrider) to and from Catalina, but we kept a close eye on the weather and made the trips in the morning. It can be done. Would I want to do it on a regular basis? No. Not with a bowrider. The weather can pick up quickly and you may be scooping up massive amounts of water with that open bow if the weather/waves turn nasty.

2) A full enclosure can be made for just about anything, usually it will zip up to your existing bimini(s), and snap down around the boat. My rear wraparound bench and bow converts into beds with fill in cushions. Mighty comfortable if you ask me.

3) The best time to purchase new or used is during the off season, I'd wait a little closer to the end of the year or beginning of next year.

4) Dunno about the boat dealers, I generally buy used when it comes to boats..

Slip Away

Lieutenant

The 24 Fasdek is a deckboat with a more aggressive hull than most, but NOT a boat for bigger water. It's a lake boat primarily. It would not be my choice for Catalina .
You would be looked at funny with a full enclosure and sleeping on it, but who cares ?
Anytime is a good time to negotiate for a boat.

Keep looking. Depending on your budget, look at a crossover (bowrider/cuddy). Like a Monterey 298SS, 328SS or Ebbtide 2600/2700. Best of both worlds, trailerable, and big enough with a decent hull for rougher waters. Like Catalina can be.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

We bought ours for Catalina runs and fishing on the Flats outside Huntington. However, today she is now a happy boat out of the salt and in fresh water.
She saved my butt a few weeks ago on Superior. We got caught in a storm 20 miles out with 4-6' cross-tops with an occasional 8' . Scared the hell out of me. Something unnerving about staring at a storm wave taller than your boat. My idiot self ignored the weather report because it "looked" good outside, even though they had a small craft advisory for the afternoon. Lesson learned - never again.

edit: I am glad I had a Cuddy in that situation. I could have swamped the boat if it wasn't.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Give more thought to the type of activities and locations you will use the boat most in. I know you said Catalina, but you may use her elsewhere too, and for different activities. Inland lakes and such or strictly ocean? Then once you have prioritized seasonal use, start viewing boats that match your needs. It's much easier to discover what brand and model you want now, so that when "buying season" comes, all you need to do is shop price, and reputable dealerships. I agree with others here that end of year or early next year (when new models come in) would be a good time to pull the trigger. You may find last years model deeply discounted to make room for the current year.

Have fun spending!!