bow seat back removal 1997 Bayliner Capri 2050

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarps3

Cadet
I just posted about gauge removal for this boat and got a quick answer so I'm going to the well again to see if I can get an answer to this question:

I am missing a bow grab rail for my recently-purchased 1997 Bayliner Capri 2050.
I think I have a replacement rail located but I have no idea how to install it.
There is zero access to the backside of the fiberglass where the rail attaches and I don't see a way to remove the seatback cushions to maybe uncover an access hole.

There aren't any screw heads that I can see in the cushion and I can't see behind the fiberglass to discover any bolts/nuts.
Has anyone else installed this grab rail or know how to remove the seatback cushions.

I'm more experienced with auto repair than boat repair but I'm on the learning curve!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Casey

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: bow seat back removal 1997 Bayliner Capri 2050

The seat backs of bowriders can be held on a variety of ways, dependingn on how the boat was constructed. Try these:

1) Pull up firmly on the seat backs. A lot are held on by hanger clips.

2) Run your fingers under the bottom edge of the seat back (with the seat cushions removed). There may be small stainless steel tabs with a single screw in them. If so, remove the tabs and pull upward on the backs firmly. They may be held on by hanger clips.

3) Remove the seat cushions and reach up under the fiberglass and feel along the inside for small screw heads or 7/16" nuts and fender washers.

4) Look and the bottom edge of the vinyl seat back, just above where it touches the plywood base. Look for small perforations in the vinyl. Some installer used small headed phillips screws and simply ran them thru the vinyl and the wood base and let the vinyl close back over the holes. Also look in between any separations in the foam/vinyl contours. Sometimes you'll find screws buried there.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Try yanking straight up on the cushion(s). NOT out, up. As in parallel to the mounting surface. They might be attached by 'bolster clips'. A "Z" shaped alum bracket that holes in the cushion back drop on to.

If there are any 'buttons' in the upholstery, you might find a screw head under them. But I think you already covered that.

Can you post a pic?

tarps3

Cadet

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try them out tomorrow if I can get off work in time. I'll post some pics too!
I've restored a few classic cars that had clips like what's been described and I had to bump up the seat backs to clear the mounting clips.

Maybe these are similar.

What a great site! Glad I found it!

Savvy Boater

Recruit
I'm having the same problem that tarps3 had. I've tried all the suggestions here. I've pulled the seat away from the front of the helm by removing three screws that were holding the seat into the front of the helm. Now it appears there is no way to remove the rest of the L-shaped cushion to get at the grab rail. It looks like either the upholstery or the fiberglass will be wrecked if I pull up on that board. I've tried it too, and it does not appear to be capable of budging. I have tried to attach photos, but this board claims they are corrupted. There is a metal clip that has a grip on the back of the seat. I anticipated that there would be holes in the hull behind the seats that would allow access to tighten the grab rail and that does not appear to be the case. It may be that I will have to cut the fiberglass to be able to reach my hand up under the cushion. Can anyone offer any insights?

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Savvy:

Please take a moment to read our FORUM RULES.
12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than approximately 3 months UNLESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead" ...

You'll get a more and better answers if you start a new topic particular to your boat.

I'm gonna' put this one back in Davy Jones' Archives ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.