Looking for a good folding transom ladder

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I just missed a great deal on a used Garelick 2 step folding transom ladder so I started looking around and found these. My only fear is that it mounts with only 4 bolts at 2 points vs the Garelick, but this one would be easier to mount, it's 4" narrower which would fit my transom better and at $44 the price is right. Anybody have any experience with this or other brand, or any better ideas?

Five Oceans - Marine Equipment

Thanks

Chad

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Looking for a good folding transom ladder

Wonder what the weight limit is on that?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That's real narrow! Less than 7" wide....... put a ruler on the floor and see hat your foot occupies for width

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That should last.

... for about 2 weeks.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Personally, I'd want a transom-mounted ladder to be constructed of stainless steel... a wet adult hauling him/herself out of the boat really will put some stress on those tubes.. I bought a Windline ladder (mine was mounted from the swimdeck) that is quite heavy and well-constructed. It's above the $100 mark, though, which seems to be the norm for stainless steel ladders.

UncleWillie

Captain

If the ladder is only for use to get back aboard if you accidentally fell overboard, most anything will work.

If you are actually intend to make use of the ladder because you have swimmers re-boarding all summer; get something substantial.

The Two step ladders only have the bottom step actually in the water.
It is difficult for small kids and older adults to get their foot on a step that is just barely under the water.
A Three or Four step ladder would be preferred.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

While I do come from a long line of people with small feet I had some of the same concern. With only the top mounting to the transom I'm afraid any rotation would twist it like a pretzel. What do you guys think of this one?

Compact Two-Step Transom Ladder - Garelick Eez-In

I have that one, Its strong enough for me @ 225, but its a little hard to get out with. a 3 step would be much easier. But with my boat being small it works fine.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I have that one, Its strong enough for me @ 225, but its a little hard to get out with. a 3 step would be much easier. But with my boat being small it works fine.

How big a boat is it on? My fear of the 3 step is that it will be in the way of everything when folded up. Do you know roughly how high yours comes above the top mounting bracket when folded up?

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

How big a boat is it on? My fear of the 3 step is that it will be in the way of everything when folded up. Do you know roughly how high yours comes above the top mounting bracket when folded up?

I can measure tonight. My boat is 13'4" Whaler type.

This is the only pic i have handy. When folded its about 1-2" above the transom.

447t.jpg

sublauxation

Lieutenant

This is the only pic i have handy. When folded its about 1-2" above the transom.

447t.jpg

Thanks for the pic, that looks great! I never thought to check for clearances around the stern eyes. Wish they could make the last step on the 3 step model telescope out. If it's no problem a measurement would be much appreciated. Is that a 20" transom? I missed a brand new one by an hour on Craigslist for $50:grumpy:.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

447t.jpg

That's the same type of ladder I installed on my boat:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK measured mine, its about 9" folded from the top of the ladder to thetop mounting point. it sticks up 2.5" on mine. The level is 2.5" thick.

transom is 21" where the ladder is mounted.

2vvt.jpg

aytq.jpg

sublauxation

Lieutenant

OK measured mine, its about 9" folded from the top of the ladder to thetop mounting point. it sticks up 2.5" on mine. The level is 2.5" thick.

transom is 21" where the ladder is mounted.

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to get those measurements, that helped a lot. The Garelick website didn't give that height and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't interfere with some trolling rods and it looks like it should work just fine. I'm surprised I couldn't find many reviews on it but assuming you and Jigngrub are happy looks like that's the one I'll buy.
Thanks Again!