Carpet replacement/teak wood

automaticj5

Seaman
Hey all. Anyone know where to go or who to look for to replace carpet in my cabin area? Or even change to teak wood?

Approx cost? I have a rinker fiesta vee 250

I had a small flood and I feel like mold is building.

Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carpet replacement/teak wood

OK, a couple of things. First the deck must be waterproof. I will assume that the deck under your carpet is waterproof. Anything you put on top of the deck needs to breath to keep the mold down, or the top cover must be waterproof as well. So if you want to do teak, you will need some spaces between boards and some way to lift the floor off the deck to let water drain and the deck dry. You will need to keep the teak oiled and use rustproof fasteners to hold the boards together.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

One piece of teak/holly ply would probably cover your entire cabin floor. Might cost a few hundred dollars, but shouldn't be too hard to do.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Boats get wet-- carpet should not be on any boat. Just my $0.02

Hey all. Anyone know where to go or who to look for to replace carpet in my cabin area? Or even change to teak wood?

Approx cost? I have a rinker fiesta vee 250

I had a small flood and I feel like mold is building.

Thanks!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not certain that applies to the cabin? My carpet doesn't get wet unless you walk inside after a swim or I leave windows/hatches open.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

How long have you had this on and how is it holding up if you have it on your swim platform?
The idea of peel and stick makes me a little skeptical

The 3M//marine peel and stick stuff is damn strong, I've relied on it on two boats with no issues for both closed cell foam deck coverage and for keel guards. Surface preparation and cleaning is key for adhesion, but pretty straightforward and dictated by product type.

Seadek has been on the swim platform for two years now, looks the same as the day I installed it despite heavy watersports, swimming action, and wetslip stowage during season. It is tough, hoses down, dries with no odor or growth, non-slip, and feels like a pair of flip flops under foot. It seems to also work for salt water fishing use, so for my fresh water environment, it's pretty bulletproof. Bonus that it looks great. It aint cheap, but IME worth it. No I don't work for them.

DSC_1192.jpg

Prior boat had Hydroturf throughout. The only complaint is that darker bright colors tended to fade a bit, not so with the SD above.

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

automaticj5

Seaman

I am talking about replacing the carpet inside the cabin. Can anyone help me with who could do this. My boat is in Bloomington Indiana. Thanks

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

It won't be cheap, but with such a small area, it might not be too bad.

MARITIME Cabin Sole Flooring, Custom Yacht Interior, Solid Teak & Holly Flooring, Teak Tables, Teak Steps, Teak Stairs, and Teak Grating | MaritimeWoodProducts.com

I've seen their work and it's top notch. It's in my long term plan to install this in my Resorter.

As for who could do it, you might try these guys. They're located in Cicero (on Morse). Everyone else I could refer you to is in the Wawasee area.

Harmon Boats Fiberglass Repair

I've seen their fiberglass work and it's excellent.

If you want to try yourself and need a source for Teak (or most other 'exotic' wood) go to these guys near Lafayette Square. Worth stopping by if you're into wood or woodworking.

http://www.northwestlumberco.com/

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

The 3M//marine peel and stick stuff is damn strong, I've relied on it on two boats with no issues for both closed cell foam deck coverage and for keel guards. Surface preparation and cleaning is key for adhesion, but pretty straightforward and dictated by product type.

Seadek has been on the swim platform for two years now, looks the same as the day I installed it despite heavy watersports, swimming action, and wetslip stowage during season. It is tough, hoses down, dries with no odor or growth, non-slip, and feels like a pair of flip flops under foot. It seems to also work for salt water fishing use, so for my fresh water environment, it's pretty bulletproof. Bonus that it looks great. It aint cheap, but IME worth it. No I don't work for them.

DSC_1192.jpg

Prior boat had Hydroturf throughout. The only complaint is that darker bright colors tended to fade a bit, not so with the SD above.

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Liked that first pic.