ski rope motor guard

LipChopper

Cadet
I'm looking for one of those outboard ski rope guards that help keep the rope from getting caught or hung up on an outboard. I've seen them on some of the mid 1980's ski boats with a center of boat rope pole and an outboard. basically a stainless rail from the deck to over top of motor. is there a trade name or any companies still saling this type of guide?

LipChopper

Cadet
Re: ski rope motor guard

I thought the purpose of pole was to aid skier getting out of water ? is there any difference? I could set up camera on pole.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Using a ski tripod does a couple things... Keeps the rope out of the water (prop), makes it easier to get the rope back to a down skier, helps get the person up, lets the spotter in the boat change rope length on the fly, and lastly, it helps the boat drive a straight line. (center of pull closer to center of rotation of the boat) The stern hooks on most boats are way too low, they make it harder to get up, and they can REALLY pull a boat crooked if you have a strong, skilled skier.

Anyway OP, just search for ski tripod, lots of for sale hits come up with that. (none on iboats)

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Using a ski tripod does a couple things... Keeps the rope out of the water (prop), makes it easier to get the rope back to a down skier, helps get the person up, lets the spotter in the boat change rope length on the fly, and lastly, it helps the boat drive a straight line. (center of pull closer to center of rotation of the boat) The stern hooks on most boats are way too low, they make it harder to get up, and they can REALLY pull a boat crooked if you have a strong, skilled skier.

Anyway OP, just search for ski tripod, lots of for sale hits come up with that. (none on iboats)

there are plenty on iboats when you search for the right name

ski pylon - iboats

haulnazz15

Captain

Just depends on what he needs. The ski bridle keeps the rope out of the prop, too, so no advantage there. The "helping the skier up" isn't much help, but it does keep the rope at a more comfortable angle when they are up. Unless you are competition skiing, most people don't adjust rope lengths too much when skiing for recreation. The boat pylons are good, but if this is just for a non-serious skier a few times a year, the bridle is considerably cheaper.

LipChopper

Cadet

Thanks for the explaining some benifits of each option. I have seen the various tripods and need to clairify that I already have a free standng pole right in the center of the boat, I failed to mention the hull is a 1984 Ski Centurion, Barefoot Warrior with the big merc 200hp outboard. Every time I bring back the rope to a skier I perfer to clear rope from the head before each pull. I would be upset if my rope got fryed or cut and dont even want to think about a engine cover getting torn off.

So back to the original post. Looking for engine guard or stainless rail to keep rope clear.

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, that helps then. You are looking for something like what is on this 84 centurian. I'm guessing that a welding shop is your best bet.

ski_boat_after_01.png
ski_boat_after_02.png

LipChopper

Cadet

Great picture, I believe it was an option when the boats were sold new. I was hoping that there was a industry name for this item. Maybe an aftermarket company produces them? sorta like Bimini top?