Canoe with Trolling Motor - Power Requirements

MisterEd7

Recruit
I have a 16' Kevlar canoe to which I have just outfitted with a MinnKota RipTide 50 trolling motor (5 speed). My initial tests were done with a 12VDC 50amp-hr gel cell battery. Here are the measurements of power consumption at various speeds:

Setting #1: 1.4 MPH, 6.3 amps, 12.000 VDC, 77 watts

Setting #2: 1.8 MPH, 7.5 amps, 11.85 VDC, 89 watts

Setting #3: 2.5 MPH, 12.9 amps, 11.51 VDC, 150 watts

Setting #4: 3.0 MPH, 15.2 amps, 11.53 VDC, 175 watts

Setting #5: 4.3 MPH, 30.5 amps, ? , 325 watts

My impressions: Setting #4 gives a nice cruise speed, while Setting #3 seemed a little pokey. Setting #5 is snappy, but look at the battery consumption!

Be aware that the so-called amp-hour rating of deep cycle batteries is based on drawing only one twentieth of the AH rating per hour. As the current draw increases, the AH rating goes down. Plan on using no more than 60% of the AH rating or the battery life will be shortened. For example, given the above figures, I can only plan on running for 3 hours at Setting #3 or 2.5 hours for Setting #4.

Incidentally, the 50AH battery weighs 36 lbs. That's about as much as I can lift into the canoe with one arm. So if I want to double my time on the water, I need to add a second 50AH battery.

Note: electrical consumption measured using an in-line power meter. Speeds using a Garmin GPS.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Canoe with Trolling Motor - Power Requirements

I think the OP wants to know how much fuel to leave in the tank during storage, and snake oil or not.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I'm surprised it only draws 30amps at it's highest setting.I was thinking it would be closer to 50,with that size motor.
I'm not sure what the question is either but before putting 2 batteries in the canoe,I'd just buy one bigger aH battery.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Interesting numbers. Speed #4 is clearly the sweet spot for this motor. What method of speed control does it use (too lazy to look it up myself)?