Possible Purchase 1987 Skeeter SF-150 - Any Insight??

GLynch8

Cadet
Have a chance to buy this Skeeter 17' SF-150 1987 bass boat for $2000.. Have not been to look at it yet (going tomorrow) - I understand about checking Transom, Floors, motor compression, etc.. Just thought I'd post on here in the event anyone has any experience with this make, model, year of boat. Also thought I'd post some pics in the event the keen eyes on this site can pick up on anything good or bad that may influence the sale. Thanks in advance as always for your feedback.
01414_lwthP1hdpG_600x450.jpg00E0E_8fnSxzfcJo0_600x450.jpg00F0F_beDJ9nsb1JK_600x450.jpg00o0o_2msl29HiZmg_600x450.jpg00O0O_4Qqqy0EHYMy_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

GLynch8

Cadet
Re: Possible Purchase 1987 Skeeter SF-150 - Any Insight??

Have a chance to buy this Skeeter 17' SF-150 1987 bass boat for $2000.. Have not been to look at it yet (going tomorrow) - I understand about checking Transom, Floors, motor compression, etc.. Just thought I'd post on here in the event anyone has any experience with this make, model, year of boat. Also thought I'd post some pics in the event the keen eyes on this site can pick up on anything good or bad that may influence the sale. Thanks in advance as always for your feedback.
View attachment 210487View attachment 210488View attachment 210489View attachment 210490View attachment 210491

Nothing???

southkogs

Staff member

I don't see anything glaring at me in the photos, Glynch. I'm not a big fan of bass boats, but Skeeters have seemed to be decent boats. You've got a good list of things to check, so it's worth a look.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That boat in my area would bring $3k easy on the right day. I say if it checks out, go for it.

GLynch8

Cadet

That boat in my area would bring $3k easy on the right day. I say if it checks out, go for it.

Thanks for the feedback - Off to look at the boat today

GLynch8

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback - Off to look at the boat today

Alright here is the deal on this boat. It is being sold by a used car dealer the boat was taken in by a new car dealer on a trade and he buys their trade-ins.. I know open joke right there about a used car dealer. He says he paid 3000 for it - (not buying that) I figure the new care dealer told him he could get 3000 for it.. (He had it listed for sale at 3800) Anyway I looked at the boat today and the boat is really solid as far as floors - transom - etc.. I like how all the storage compartments have locks on them. He told me that the jack plate slips when the motor is raised on it.. Had no idea what a jack plate even was before today.. I looked into it and it appears that perhaps it may just need to be lubricated and perhaps some small o-rings etc.. He also said that the motor ran great in gear but was rough and almost stalled when idling. I read up on this too and from what I gather it may be just a tuneup and timing adjustment or something bigger. Anyway I contacted an outboard motor mechanic not far from where the boat is located and he has agreed to give the motor and boat a once over for me on Friday - See if he can determine cause of the jack plate and the idle issue.. Here is my question.. Because this guy is not a boat owner and his car lot is far from a lake he has had to go to the lake 3 times with people that wanted to test drive the boat he said he has received 2 offers of 2000 and turned them down after being dragged to the lake.. He said if he has to go to the lake again the lowest he'd go was 2500.. But if the boat was purchased without a lake test he'd go 2000. Do you experienced boat guys out here feel that a hose test and an inspection by a mechanic would be enough to buy this boat if they checked out? Or does it have to go in the water?? I figure this guy paid 1000 - 1500 for the boat and was convinced he'd sell it for 3000.. I figure he's held it long enough and he is ready to move on. Selling it for 2000 he makes less than he thought but still pockets 500 and moves on. My thinking is if the boat gets a clean bill of health from the mechanic that I'd offer him 1500 cash right there hoping that he paid 1000 and at 1500 he is done and makes 500 and go from there. Thoughts? As always thanks for the feedback......

southkogs

Staff member

...Do you experienced boat guys out here feel that a hose test and an inspection by a mechanic would be enough to buy this boat if they checked out? Or does it have to go in the water??...
You're going to get a bunch of back and forth on this. The rule is - water test. The reality is, many have purchased without. My current boat I bought broken without a water test. I could risk the purchase price and had a plan to part it out if I had to.

With a mechanic's "go for it," and getting the price you want ... it may be worth the risk.

But if the price starts getting too close to his asking price, I'd wait for something else. In my area bass boats are a dime a dozen.